Used 1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1995 Volkswagen Jetta

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

120K - very reliable and running strong!
By Enginerd

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Live in LA, bought w/110K on it for $3K. Now, 1-1/2year later, it has 120k. Had a 528i at the time of purchase, but Jetta is a lot easier to park along the curb. Handling is very nice ("poor man's bimmer"), although I miss the RWD. Turns on a dime. The acceleration is good enough to leave 90% of cars behind from a stop (just keep RPM around 3-4k). It lacks in creature comforts (no CC, leather, glove box, power seats or windows) and it has rattles, noisy on the freeway. However, the lack of power features makes it VERY dependable (with routine maintenance). Sold my bimmer b/c of electrical issues, but Jetta GL is so reliable I'm afraid to buy another car! A great deal for the money!

Favorite Features

Turning radius, fuel economy, acceleration, reliability. It sure beats 95 civics and corollas for interior quality, peppiness and road feel! And for the price, the only better bargain is 95 525i, if you don't mind the added dimensions.

Suggested Improvements

Freeway noise levels, acceleration. Glove box. Trunk is large but I wish they made a wagon in 95. Sadly, will probably sell it soon for a nice turbo wagon.

expensive repairs
By east coast grrl

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car to drive, but expensive to repair. I bought it from a friend who bought it new; it sat through a New England winter without being driven & took a real beating from it! I now live on the West Coast, & feel that because of the expensive repairs (over 3K on new clutch, timing wheel & belt, ball bearings, rotors, brake pads, muffler, fuel line, air filter) this would be a better car to buy on the West Coast. Be sure to take ANY Volkswagen/Audi to a mechanic who specializes in German cars. Being familiar with only Japanese & American cars, some egotistical mechanics made matters worse for me by messing with the electrical wiring.

Favorite Features

speaker system has held up well, still good gas mileage (average 28 mpg), very solid & "safe feeling"

Suggested Improvements

The interior design is awkward- especially the cup holder; this has since been improved in the Jetta.

Jetta Takes the Worry Out of Older Cars
By dendra7

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I owned my Jetta GL sedan for five years. It has exceptionally dependable. I replaced the tires and brakes, but nothing major went wrong with this car. You just have to look out for their electrical issues, little things going wrong, like sensitive wires and switches that seem to go haywire. If you can tolerate the few quirks, these little cars can't be beat for dependability! I am afraid to own anything else because this little car was so great. It has a wonderful ride on the interstate, it is smooth, and comfortable. The back seats fold down to haul larger items. My money was well spent on this car.

Favorite Features

The dependable engine and soft seats. It has a very smooth ride. I live in a place that gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter - nothing seemed to bother my Jetta.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical issues. Some days the window fuse box just went out and had to be replaced. The back blinker light often got water in it and burned out the bulb. Mostly the car just had minor electrical issues. Also, who decided that it didn't need a glovebox?

My First Car
By blind241

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I have always loved VW's style, and I doubt that I will find a car I like more. I have had my share of problems, but my 1995 Volkswagen Jetta is almost 11 years old. It's great on long trips, has lots of room, and comfortable seats. I can fit my 6 foot string bass inside. You can not beat the handling and fit and finish.

Favorite Features

The comfortable seats, strong engine, tons of room, and good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of the electrical system.

189K and still running strong
By KeisertheJetta

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Love this car...got it at 65K miles in 1998 and have never had any issues! I've never replaced the clutch! Who needs an SUV? Its spacious enough to fit 2 passengers, a 90 lb. dog in back, and tons in trunk (including oversized stuff--huge suitcases, vacuum cleaners, etc.). Seats fold down to fit skis and mountain bike. Great on gas! Fun to drive. I've never been stranded and always feel safe. What a bargain! Cloth seats are very durable. I was told there is no "tune-up" for this car, just remember to change the oil and it'll be reliable. They couldn't have been more right. Starts right up in cold weather. VWs are the best! I will buy another!

Favorite Features

Reliability. Great gas mileage. Trunk size. Moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

A glove compartment, better side moldings, better cup holders.