1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
120K - very reliable and running strong!
By Enginerd on 09/11/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Live in LA, bought w/110K on it for $3K. Now, 1-1/2year later, it has 120k. Had a 528i at the time of purchase, but Jetta is a lot easier to park along the curb. Handling is very nice ("poor man's bimmer"), although I miss the RWD. Turns on a dime. The acceleration is good enough to leave 90% of cars behind from a stop (just keep RPM around 3-4k). It lacks in creature comforts (no CC, leather, glove box, power seats or windows) and it has rattles, noisy on the freeway. However, the lack of power features makes it VERY dependable (with routine maintenance). Sold my bimmer b/c of electrical issues, but Jetta GL is so reliable I'm afraid to buy another car! A great deal for the money!

expensive repairs
By east coast grrl on 08/09/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car to drive, but expensive to repair. I bought it from a friend who bought it new; it sat through a New England winter without being driven & took a real beating from it! I now live on the West Coast, & feel that because of the expensive repairs (over 3K on new clutch, timing wheel & belt, ball bearings, rotors, brake pads, muffler, fuel line, air filter) this would be a better car to buy on the West Coast. Be sure to take ANY Volkswagen/Audi to a mechanic who specializes in German cars. Being familiar with only Japanese & American cars, some egotistical mechanics made matters worse for me by messing with the electrical wiring.

Jetta Takes the Worry Out of Older Cars
By dendra7 on 02/22/07 13:41 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I owned my Jetta GL sedan for five years. It has exceptionally dependable. I replaced the tires and brakes, but nothing major went wrong with this car. You just have to look out for their electrical issues, little things going wrong, like sensitive wires and switches that seem to go haywire. If you can tolerate the few quirks, these little cars can't be beat for dependability! I am afraid to own anything else because this little car was so great. It has a wonderful ride on the interstate, it is smooth, and comfortable. The back seats fold down to haul larger items. My money was well spent on this car.

My First Car
By blind241 on 11/19/05 11:24 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I have always loved VW's style, and I doubt that I will find a car I like more. I have had my share of problems, but my 1995 Volkswagen Jetta is almost 11 years old. It's great on long trips, has lots of room, and comfortable seats. I can fit my 6 foot string bass inside. You can not beat the handling and fit and finish.

189K and still running strong
By KeisertheJetta on 02/13/05 22:45 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Love this car...got it at 65K miles in 1998 and have never had any issues! I've never replaced the clutch! Who needs an SUV? Its spacious enough to fit 2 passengers, a 90 lb. dog in back, and tons in trunk (including oversized stuff--huge suitcases, vacuum cleaners, etc.). Seats fold down to fit skis and mountain bike. Great on gas! Fun to drive. I've never been stranded and always feel safe. What a bargain! Cloth seats are very durable. I was told there is no "tune-up" for this car, just remember to change the oil and it'll be reliable. They couldn't have been more right. Starts right up in cold weather. VWs are the best! I will buy another!

250,000 miles
By Rudolfo L'Aspari on 01/03/05 09:38 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

After 250,000 miles I have finally decided to donate her to a worthy cause. Not a bad run. I bought her brand new in college and it was my first new car. I got every penny's worth out of my $14,000! Never had any major mechanical failure..... the starter went once and the distributor got water in it once and had to be replaced. Other than that, I just brought it in according to the maintenance manual and she gave me 250,000 miles. She done good.

VW M.M.A.D.
By Mseefamily on 11/04/04 18:51 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

When my wife and I bought this car it was on impulse. It was the first car we saw on the lot and the only car we really looked at. Like all cars we've had our moments with it, but all together...it's the best dang car I've ever had. I try to do all my own mechanics work on my vehicles and the only major thing I've done to this VW is change the timing belt (at 110,000 miles). I bought it with 80,000 miles on it. It's currently at 168,000 miles and running just like it had when I'd bought it (with general automotive maintenance and care). It even is getting the same and even sometimes better gas mileage (31.5 mpg in town).

V-Dubbin 4ever
By timbolin on 11/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Amazing car i love it

Great Little Car
By Periodicl on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a great little car that is fun to drive and shows no signs of having 200000kms on it.

Nice purchase.......again!
By VW4LIFE on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this Jetta at an auction with unknown problems. After purchase and repairs, it still was a steal! Stereo is average, creature comforts are average, but RELIABLE!!!! This is my second VW, first was a Fox that I drove for 14 years before giving it away (it's still running), and I have since bought a Passat. Love them all! Repairs can be pricy, but you can't beat the dependablility of VW.