1995 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
95 Jetta GLX VR6
By Roscoe on 02/19/10 07:42 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

First of all I'll start off by saying this is my 3rd VW, having owned a 2004 Jetta and a 2000 GTi Vr6, and it is still my favorite by far. If you are into the Euro car modding scene this is a great platform. It has timeless styling, great potential, and from a Automotive Technician's standpoint faily simple to work on especially for a VW.

Jetta.
By Jacob Burrows on 04/01/09 08:40 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta Celebration 4dr Sedan

Car is a lot of fun to drive. It has it's share of problems just like any other 14 year old car. I love it.

120K - very reliable and running strong!
By Enginerd on 09/11/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Live in LA, bought w/110K on it for $3K. Now, 1-1/2year later, it has 120k. Had a 528i at the time of purchase, but Jetta is a lot easier to park along the curb. Handling is very nice ("poor man's bimmer"), although I miss the RWD. Turns on a dime. The acceleration is good enough to leave 90% of cars behind from a stop (just keep RPM around 3-4k). It lacks in creature comforts (no CC, leather, glove box, power seats or windows) and it has rattles, noisy on the freeway. However, the lack of power features makes it VERY dependable (with routine maintenance). Sold my bimmer b/c of electrical issues, but Jetta GL is so reliable I'm afraid to buy another car! A great deal for the money!

expensive repairs
By east coast grrl on 08/09/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a fun car to drive, but expensive to repair. I bought it from a friend who bought it new; it sat through a New England winter without being driven & took a real beating from it! I now live on the West Coast, & feel that because of the expensive repairs (over 3K on new clutch, timing wheel & belt, ball bearings, rotors, brake pads, muffler, fuel line, air filter) this would be a better car to buy on the West Coast. Be sure to take ANY Volkswagen/Audi to a mechanic who specializes in German cars. Being familiar with only Japanese & American cars, some egotistical mechanics made matters worse for me by messing with the electrical wiring.

"The little engine that could"
By Jared on 04/18/08 21:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Man what a car. This was my first car and I absolutely loved it. The car always started up for me, never had any problems, was great on gas which is really important these days. Sadly I no longer have this car due to an accident, I wish i still had that car today. I bought it with 198,000 miles but the engine actually had 112,000, this car had the digital odometers so u couldn't change the mileage. It was an automatic, which I really didn't mind, it kept me alive when i was in the accident. I was late for work and it just started raining, i was going 45 mph down hill, i was going to fast for the turn and i ended up totaling the car and i actually went to work an hour later, without a scratch!!!

best car by far
By Phil D on 03/21/08 01:48 AM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

The GLX VR6 has great acceleration, roomy for its size, handles great in rain and snow. It was very hard to lose control on the snow ( and I was trying ). Not so good for a family car but I can fit 2 car seats in the back comfortably. This car is an all around tank, I put this car through some crazy situations and it always comes out on top. Pricey to maintain but well worth every penny. I cant wait to buy my next VW. Oh I almost forgot....the 95 GLX VR6 was not built to be sold in America so everything is special order, I found out the hard way.

Electronics
By Mantooth on 03/11/08 23:24 PM (PDT)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

Gets me where I need to go.

VW number 10
By VistaRob on 02/22/08 07:55 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about two months ago and have put about six thousand miles on it already. The engine has a great power down low and up top. My average mpg is 24 but can get up to 28 on the highway and down to 17 city. The interior has all the bells and whistles you would see on a car today auto down windows all around, and can open and close them by holding the key. The quality of the interior is excellent leather is firm, no rattles and is very solid just what you would expect from a German car. The trunk is HUGE!!! and would make a good Mafia car. Like is said this is my tenth vw, all great cars just use good parts and maintain it.

Not worth it
By dtheo on 12/17/07 11:13 AM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta City 4dr Sedan

Pretty good car to drive, but not worth it to maintain. Repairs are too expensive and it needs plenty of them. This one I had is high mileage, but from 130-160k it has needed a new master brake cylinder, bad cruise control, lost a door lock, speedo and tach work intermittently (messes up inpection), horn stuck on, wheel bearings, struts, timing belt, distributor (still worked but tripped the check engine light and prevented inspection - nice design) and now a transmission and clutch. That about does it for this car. Its heading for the nearest cliff. I won't be getting another VW unless I get real ambitious for a BioDiesel project. Interior design is stupid. no glovebox.

Jetta Takes the Worry Out of Older Cars
By dendra7 on 02/22/07 13:41 PM (PST)

1995 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I owned my Jetta GL sedan for five years. It has exceptionally dependable. I replaced the tires and brakes, but nothing major went wrong with this car. You just have to look out for their electrical issues, little things going wrong, like sensitive wires and switches that seem to go haywire. If you can tolerate the few quirks, these little cars can't be beat for dependability! I am afraid to own anything else because this little car was so great. It has a wonderful ride on the interstate, it is smooth, and comfortable. The back seats fold down to haul larger items. My money was well spent on this car.