Used 1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great Car - If You're a Mechanic
By garypollard

1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought mine used from Craigslist with 193,000 miles on it. Immediately had to replace serpentine and v-belt, as they quite literally flew off the car. 0-60 is exactly 8 seconds, which is not terrible for such a small engine. Will handle corners well at 75 MPH. Watch for intake system, as the MAF and O2 Sensors tend to fail after 100,000 miles. Also watch for exhaust leaks at the flex pipe. This is my second VW (had a '99 Cabrio GL), and these problems were on both. Overall, it does decently on gas. $10 lasted me a week, and that's driving from one city to another to get to school. Do your maintenance, and please do it on time. Early is best. It will last forever if you do.

Handling is pretty well done. Interior is fair. Acceleration is at least better than a Prius. I dig the efficiency of the German engineering and the design. Not a fan of interference engines, but this car is great. I enjoy the ease of maintenance. The engine is very simple, and parts are great. If your starter goes out, do not ever put a VW starter on it. Use Ford.

Those cup holders are only good for holding communion cups. Maybe make interior parts out of something other than styrofoam. Make the exhaust less like a bendy straw and more like a real exhaust system. For the love of all things simple, please stop using those darn hex screws for everything. How about some bolts? If you're going to make a 1984cc engine, at least put a turbo on it. Never ever produce an automatic transmission. Give up on putting anything electronic on the car. Just put a mechanical speedometer, odometer, and tach. Put lanterns on the front for headlights or something. Volkswagen is worse than Chevrolet in the electrical department.

Little Black Money Pit
By Armory6

1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my dream car. It was my first car and despite everything, I still love it, but will not buy another VW. It seems like everything has gone wrong with this car. The computer was installed wrong when the car was built and never worked, this makes it hard to find a mechanic to work on the various problems it has. The distributor went and was replaced, replaced the fuel pump, the ignition switch, both oil pressure sensors, A/C compressor doesn't work, most of the hoses were replaced due to cracking and leaking, the sun roof won't open and also leaks, the seat adjustment knob covers fell off, the handle to the glove box broke and won't open, now the oil pump.

The car has a good set of speakers, it's comfortable, cute looking from the outside, has a reasonably roomy backseat and a large trunk with the option to lay the backseat flat. Also gets awesome gas mileage when it runs.

Better mechanical reliability, I understand the car is old, but mileage has nothing to do with the sun roof, glove box or seat knobs. Also, I would like cup holders that can hold cups. If you have something larger than a can, it won't fit.

I'll miss my Dub!
By Asetroz6

1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1996. Over 170000 miles and still ran strong. I put all but 43000mi. Owned for 13 years. Seats very comfortable. Used to Auto Cross and even beat a few Vettes! Good stereo, enough room in the back seats for adults on a hour trip or so, ran it hard and on long trips and only the usual repairs.

Sporty little car with great pickup and abble to handle corners great. Good mileage

Better paint job.(Clear coat pealed on hood, typical of the 94 Teal color.)

Great engine
By Helder

1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2004 with 185,000 for $250. It needed timing belt, tune up (park pugs, wires, dist. Cap, belts and filters, rear shocks and brakes). The car looked in good shape no rust, interior was perfect, & the privious owner had just replaced the the muffler & tires. A close friend happens to be a master VW mechanic so all parts and labor only cost me $750. For $1000 dollars I figured the car could laet another 2 years. To my surprise it ran very good, fast, economic, & fun to drive. After 5 years I put more $$ into it: new starter, radiator, rotors & pads, muffler, & master cylinder ($880 parts & labor). It still running strong today 23, ooo miles. Oil change done every 3,000 miles

Fast for a small engine, economic fun to drive and well built.

Tight interior, parts are expensive. I'm lucky to have a friend to hook me with rebuilt parts and brand new parts I get them below cost, & he charges me close to nothing for labor. Some people give up on this cars because it is hard to find a good vw mechanic, & parts a very expensive.

My Beloved Jetta, will be missed :(
By Cory G

1994 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my first car which was My Beloved Jetta in 2007. I really enjoyed that car so much that I was going to hook it up with some nice stuff. It was used so I knew what I was getting. It was green, 5 speed manual, sunroof, am/fm cassette radio, what I wanted for a first car. I had to sell it because it failed inspection for emissions, sunroof leaked, gotten into a couple of fender benders :(. I miss that car. I drive a Chevy HHR now, still miss the Jetta.

Exterior design and body, great on gas, customization of the vehicle from the inside out.

Make the cost of repairing affordable because it costs a fortune to repair anything that goes wrong with this vehicle.