Used 1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Little Black Money Pit
By Armory6

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my dream car. It was my first car and despite everything, I still love it, but will not buy another VW. It seems like everything has gone wrong with this car. The computer was installed wrong when the car was built and never worked, this makes it hard to find a mechanic to work on the various problems it has. The distributor went and was replaced, replaced the fuel pump, the ignition switch, both oil pressure sensors, A/C compressor doesn't work, most of the hoses were replaced due to cracking and leaking, the sun roof won't open and also leaks, the seat adjustment knob covers fell off, the handle to the glove box broke and won't open, now the oil pump.

The car has a good set of speakers, it's comfortable, cute looking from the outside, has a reasonably roomy backseat and a large trunk with the option to lay the backseat flat. Also gets awesome gas mileage when it runs.

Better mechanical reliability, I understand the car is old, but mileage has nothing to do with the sun roof, glove box or seat knobs. Also, I would like cup holders that can hold cups. If you have something larger than a can, it won't fit.

Buyer Beware....
By Kristen

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car after totaling my existing Jetta. Of course, I wanted another Jetta because my first performed so well, not to be the case with this car. The radio has broken, the dash lights don't work, the door locks and power windows are broken, as well as the power sunroof. I've had the car in the shop so many times I could have paid for a new one. I've contacted my local dealership, VW of America all the way up and no one has provided me with any help. The car was a lemon a month after buying it and hasn't changed since. I'll drive the car into the ground because for the life of me I can't sell it and the dealership won't give me any value for a trade-in.

I loved the sunroof the one year it worked, and it used to get good gas mileage, but now I only get about 15 - 18 miles per gallon

Start over with something new,e very person I know who owned this model & year hate their car. I'll never buy another VW. The dealer sold it to me w/ one year on the waranty, only to tell me it was expired when I went in for the first repair 2 months later.

Fun Car
By Thur

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great vehicle. I bought this car with 180,000 miles and have had to do a few repairs (new A/C compressor, rear wheel bearings, power window regulator, shift linkage bushings, valve cover gasket, timing belt), but I attribute this more to the high mileage and previous owner than to the quality of the vehicle itself. It is a fun car, quick, great paint, and excellent for city driving. Would definitely recommend.

Power in any gear, looks great with a bike rack on top, fairly easy to do maintenance (with the Bentley manual, of course).

Radio died too easily.

YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT A DAY MAY BRING!
By Christin

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I drove my '94 Jetta for 2 years...including the past 3 months it's been sitting in my driveway, not worth putting another nickel into it. The worst part about owning this car is that Volkswagens are harder to fix, so the labor costs more, and the parts are so expensive. Simple spark plug wires cost me $100.00! My car just hit the 120,000 mile mark...I know they're supposed to run forever, but no one ever mentions how much it will cost to keep them running. I finally decided to count my losses and recently sold it for 1/5 of what I bought it for 2 years ago.

My car was a 5 speed and had quite a bit of power. I also loved my power sunroof and that you could close it by turning the key in the door. It was also nice to have an older car with an alarm system.

Love my VW!
By JPBR26

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

The sunroof broke on my car shortly after I got it, but other than that, it's a beautiful little car. Great gas mileage, and you can't beat how quick a VW 4-cylinder is. Zippy little car!

The power packed in a VW 4-cylinder engine can't be beat. Great gas mileage if you drive nicely, fast and speedy if you don't. Great package.

Why did they ever make it in Teal?