1994 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
I'll miss my Dub!
By Asetroz6 on 11/01/09 20:40 PM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1996. Over 170000 miles and still ran strong. I put all but 43000mi. Owned for 13 years. Seats very comfortable. Used to Auto Cross and even beat a few Vettes! Good stereo, enough room in the back seats for adults on a hour trip or so, ran it hard and on long trips and only the usual repairs.

Great engine
By Helder on 10/19/09 15:56 PM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2004 with 185,000 for $250. It needed timing belt, tune up (park pugs, wires, dist. Cap, belts and filters, rear shocks and brakes). The car looked in good shape no rust, interior was perfect, & the privious owner had just replaced the the muffler & tires. A close friend happens to be a master VW mechanic so all parts and labor only cost me $750. For $1000 dollars I figured the car could laet another 2 years. To my surprise it ran very good, fast, economic, & fun to drive. After 5 years I put more $$ into it: new starter, radiator, rotors & pads, muffler, & master cylinder ($880 parts & labor). It still running strong today 23, ooo miles. Oil change done every 3,000 miles

My Beloved Jetta, will be missed :(
By Cory G on 01/14/09 20:32 PM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my first car which was My Beloved Jetta in 2007. I really enjoyed that car so much that I was going to hook it up with some nice stuff. It was used so I knew what I was getting. It was green, 5 speed manual, sunroof, am/fm cassette radio, what I wanted for a first car. I had to sell it because it failed inspection for emissions, sunroof leaked, gotten into a couple of fender benders :(. I miss that car. I drive a Chevy HHR now, still miss the Jetta.

this car runs great
By just keeps running.. on 12/23/08 21:43 PM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a post on Craigs List for $850 cash. The gauges did not work, the a/c had been bypassed, and the catalytic converter was shot. But the car ran good. Good clutch, strong runner, no leaks anywhere. The car has somewhere around 135k miles. I have been replacing little things that should have been fixed or replaced during this cars 14 years of life. However, the parts aren't that expensive if you buy them used from the internet. Remember...you have to maintain Jettas to get the life out of them. I will drive this Jetta until it gets tired, and it gives 100% everyday. This is a good car, to say the absolute least. Thumbs up. I will always drive VW.

What a car!
By Rooddog on 11/10/04 01:05 AM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! I use it to commute to work, and get 30-33 mpg, even got 35 mpg right after a tune up. It accelerates well, handles fantastic, and won't break the bank. The doors and other panels are well insulated, cutting down on road noise. But changing the shocks in the rear - is a pain in the rear.

..And Then It Died...
By Ray 20 on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Well, I had my 94' Jetta Gl 5 Years and not 1 Problem. Routine Maint and Oil Changes. From 50k to 106k it ran perfect, then one morning the transmission died and killed my Jetta, repairs would have been over 2,000.00, so I sold it for $750. Sad end to a great car!

better than my two Corollas
By amir on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Has been more reliable than two Toyota Corollas that I have owned in the past. Drove it cross country. The 10yr/100kmi warranty came in handy to fix the transmission at 98000 miles. Sad day when I sell it.

Good Car
By vwboy94 on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 75000 miles on it, it had no previous problems and so far hasn't had any new ones. The car is reliable, and fuel economical. I can get about 25-30 mpg depending on how I drive the 5 speed manual. For a small engine and only 115 horsepower this car can go.

It was NightMare.!!
By Do/Doug on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

As soon as i got a used jetta, the oil pressure light came on very often. I fixed the oil pump and main bearings by paying 800, and then the head gasket may had been cracked by aging, which caused oil to leak out. it cost me 700. What a goodness.! After all, one day it started hesitating during acceleration. Gee, the fuel pump sounded like whining. it made me pay 400. Water got through the sunroof. Darn.! Next, a/c comp. was gone. It rendered me suffocated, and I spent 500 bucks. Finally, the engine would shut off by itself recently, so what I had to do was to sacrifice it. lots more. Highly not recommend this one for the poor like me.

Super Happy
By Eric "VWRACER" on 07/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I currently have over 251,000 miles on my 1994 Jetta...all I gotta say is, I love it. It has been the most reliable car I have ever owned...I trust it more then my other car with only 40,000 miles on it.