1994 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Little Black Money Pit
By Armory6 on 03/14/10 13:30 PM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my dream car. It was my first car and despite everything, I still love it, but will not buy another VW. It seems like everything has gone wrong with this car. The computer was installed wrong when the car was built and never worked, this makes it hard to find a mechanic to work on the various problems it has. The distributor went and was replaced, replaced the fuel pump, the ignition switch, both oil pressure sensors, A/C compressor doesn't work, most of the hoses were replaced due to cracking and leaking, the sun roof won't open and also leaks, the seat adjustment knob covers fell off, the handle to the glove box broke and won't open, now the oil pump.

I'll miss my Dub!
By Asetroz6 on 11/01/09 20:40 PM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 1996. Over 170000 miles and still ran strong. I put all but 43000mi. Owned for 13 years. Seats very comfortable. Used to Auto Cross and even beat a few Vettes! Good stereo, enough room in the back seats for adults on a hour trip or so, ran it hard and on long trips and only the usual repairs.

Great engine
By Helder on 10/19/09 15:56 PM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in 2004 with 185,000 for $250. It needed timing belt, tune up (park pugs, wires, dist. Cap, belts and filters, rear shocks and brakes). The car looked in good shape no rust, interior was perfect, & the privious owner had just replaced the the muffler & tires. A close friend happens to be a master VW mechanic so all parts and labor only cost me $750. For $1000 dollars I figured the car could laet another 2 years. To my surprise it ran very good, fast, economic, & fun to drive. After 5 years I put more $$ into it: new starter, radiator, rotors & pads, muffler, & master cylinder ($880 parts & labor). It still running strong today 23, ooo miles. Oil change done every 3,000 miles

My Beloved Jetta, will be missed :(
By Cory G on 01/14/09 20:32 PM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I bought my first car which was My Beloved Jetta in 2007. I really enjoyed that car so much that I was going to hook it up with some nice stuff. It was used so I knew what I was getting. It was green, 5 speed manual, sunroof, am/fm cassette radio, what I wanted for a first car. I had to sell it because it failed inspection for emissions, sunroof leaked, gotten into a couple of fender benders :(. I miss that car. I drive a Chevy HHR now, still miss the Jetta.

this car runs great
By just keeps running.. on 12/23/08 21:43 PM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a post on Craigs List for $850 cash. The gauges did not work, the a/c had been bypassed, and the catalytic converter was shot. But the car ran good. Good clutch, strong runner, no leaks anywhere. The car has somewhere around 135k miles. I have been replacing little things that should have been fixed or replaced during this cars 14 years of life. However, the parts aren't that expensive if you buy them used from the internet. Remember...you have to maintain Jettas to get the life out of them. I will drive this Jetta until it gets tired, and it gives 100% everyday. This is a good car, to say the absolute least. Thumbs up. I will always drive VW.

Maintain Correctly and it will last
By Mike on 04/27/08 06:54 AM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

It's always been a great car. Everything on still works the way it did when it was brand new. I read these comments and sorry folks all these problems are created by trying to take the cheap way out in Preventative and scheduled maintenance. Tip for all you with trans woes, trans fluid breaks down just like oil, change it every 40K. Service it at the dealer they know best.

Buyer Beware....
By Kristen on 02/13/05 01:27 AM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car after totaling my existing Jetta. Of course, I wanted another Jetta because my first performed so well, not to be the case with this car. The radio has broken, the dash lights don't work, the door locks and power windows are broken, as well as the power sunroof. I've had the car in the shop so many times I could have paid for a new one. I've contacted my local dealership, VW of America all the way up and no one has provided me with any help. The car was a lemon a month after buying it and hasn't changed since. I'll drive the car into the ground because for the life of me I can't sell it and the dealership won't give me any value for a trade-in.

What a car!
By Rooddog on 11/10/04 01:05 AM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This is a great car! I use it to commute to work, and get 30-33 mpg, even got 35 mpg right after a tune up. It accelerates well, handles fantastic, and won't break the bank. The doors and other panels are well insulated, cutting down on road noise. But changing the shocks in the rear - is a pain in the rear.

Fun Car
By Thur on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great vehicle. I bought this car with 180,000 miles and have had to do a few repairs (new A/C compressor, rear wheel bearings, power window regulator, shift linkage bushings, valve cover gasket, timing belt), but I attribute this more to the high mileage and previous owner than to the quality of the vehicle itself. It is a fun car, quick, great paint, and excellent for city driving. Would definitely recommend.

Great car
By VWred-dragon on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Volkswagen Jetta GLX VR6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 94 GLX VR6 in September of 2003 with 103,000 miles on it. The car was purchased in good condition, I had to do regular 10 year expected maintenence on it but nothing out of the ordinary (repacked wheel berrings, tune up, accessory belt, fixed a tiny coolent leak, valve cover gasket, and motor mount) the car runs great and performs excellently. (My model was made in Germany, not Mexico)