Used 1993 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1993 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

GL 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

Jetta Fan
By KendraH

1993 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought one used from a private sale. It had 100 thousand miles on it when purchased. It had over 200K miles on it before we turned it in. The cost of the repairs were worth more than the car when we replaced it. The ride was very smooth, as you could ride the highway in third gear and not realize it. Only major repairs we needed to do was for brakes and muffler. This was the first Jetta I owned and made me a huge fan of Volkswagens. It made a great family car. Due to its size, was able to park in the school's parking lot very easily amongst all the minivans and SUVs.

Favorite Features

Awesome trunk space. Comfortable seating for my height (5'4") and spouse's (6'3"). Great family car.

Suggested Improvements

Before we replaced this vehicle, door handles snapped off and had to be replaced. That's something that is cheap to fix and I could do myself. Windows also fell off track and had to be fixed.

It's an OK Car
By Poodle

1993 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I had this car over 15 years. It was built great, but would have major mechanical problems when any problems happened. I had two A/C units dropped into this vehicle and one transmission job done. Overall, it got me to work and back and was very dependable.

Favorite Features

Liked the look for its time. Clean cut features. Dash was easy to read. Simple features with quality assurance.

Suggested Improvements

Better warranty with sale. Car has great qualities for a person who isn't asking for much, other than a powerful driving machine thats reliable.

VW Jeta Diesel in Minnesota - First Year
By stormovick

1993 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Cold winter driving was my main concern with the diesel engine but with the electrically heated seats and it's good heater, this is the warmest car I've owned. The manual gear box makes better milage and shifts easy. Comfort on long trips over 1000 miles was an other concern I had: not to worry, the ride is not too rough and the good handling makes driving fun. Short trips have cut my mileage down but I've still averaged 47+ for the first 22,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The extra long range before refueling is good: 600 to 800 miles. The heated seats are needed in Minnesota winters. The Turbo gives this car a top speed of 120 MPH, thus a 80 MPH cruse speed is not a problem.

Suggested Improvements

The new Euro diesels are more powerful and when mated to a six speed gear box provide better highway mileage yet. Also the Cd drag fractor for the Jeta is 0.30, not bad but I'd like to see 0.26 like some of the new cars.

my first and only
By nstab

1993 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

really a great car, one of the most responsive i have ever driven and quick off the line. Gave great fuel economy and i really loved it.

Consumer Rating
By HUmsafar

it is Excellent Vehicle in that period

Favorite Features

sun roof works perfect

Suggested Improvements

its is excellent there is no room for improvement.