1991 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Review: the diesel is a winner

1991 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Review

GL Sedan (1.6L 4-cyl. Diesel 5-speed Manual)

the diesel is a winner
By Mr. Green on

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

I have owned four or five VW diesels, all were/are impressive. Though the 91 Jetta has required more attention than the 84 I owned (starter rebuilt twice, alternator rebuilt once), the engine is mighty fine, the clutch is tight and the transmission has always shifted with minimal effort. I can load the car mercilessly and head off on vacation and get 45 mpg. I've only put about 100K on this car, but that's because I own too many cars. The VW will remain in the stable for years to come. I really like the car.

Reliable diesel engine, (though it could definitely benefit from a turbo), great clutch and transmission, LARGE trunk, cold AC, edifying interior, comfortable seats.

Door latches seem to be a problem, and the engine could really use a turbo. Also, the road/engine noise is annoying at high speeds, but not intolerable. And, there are some annoying electrical problems, which I usually fix myself.