Used 1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Great car for the budding mechanic
By Safety Joe

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car needed some TLC when I bought it. The drivers side seat belt ignition switch was starting to go bad. I decided to by-pass the system by cutting the wire that goes from the seat belt switch. I then connected the two wires leading away from the switch and pushed the wires back into the door. I've also replaced the coolant temp. sensor, a few vacuum hoses, one door handle and the engine knock sensor. The automatic transmition torque converter seal was leaking. I took the transmition out and put a new seal on it. Don't buy one of these cars if you can't fix them yourself.

300,000km still strong
By 666

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I just purchased a 91 jetta GL. It has 300km on it and hasnt been rebuilt but still running strong. I think these cars can last forever if taken care of.

More power, less plastic, other than that a very reliable car.

Nothing but fun
By a2jetta

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is my second VW and I love it! It has only had normal maintenance. A couple of wrecks have not diminished the performance. It gave where it should have and repairs easily. Great docs.

Quick, fun, black, big bumpers

A couple of tweaks and some home brew mods really get it moving. It handles sorta soft, like most older vws, could use a bar. Overall great car.

Take a Walk on the Mild Side
By Sponge Bob Square VW

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The 1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL has been a very good car. The engine and transmission are superior because we have done a few simple things since day one: 1. We 'Baby' the car; 2. Use only synthetic motor oil (every 5k mi.); and 3. Use premium fuel. Our mechanic recently changed the valve cover gasket, looked inside, and said: "This does not look like an engine with 205k miles. It looks more like 75k." My mechanic is a friend and has 45 years experience with VW's. You be the judge....Thank you.

91 - Bad year for the Jetta
By ladyadonis

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. I was told that there were no problems with it. Well, that was a lie. I have had to replace brakes, fuel pressure regulators, a/c compressors. It needs weekly maintenance and sucks on oil and coolant like there's no tomorrow. VW's may be great cars, but the 91 Jetta just doesn't live up to the standard. I've heard many first hand complaints from other 91 Jetta owners too. At least I'm not alone...