1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
great car with typical VW issues
By tmr on 01/12/09 13:25 PM (PST)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I was inspired to write this review for the simple fact that the page says 22 mpg. That's impossible, I owned this car for 5 years and only once got below 24 mpg, usually more like 29 mpg, best I ever got was 41 mpg for a tank! Beyond that the car is fun to drive (I had manual GLi 16V), but has typical VW issues like the doors not working (they can be fixed), windshield wipers with mind of their own, and other electrical issues.

Great car for the budding mechanic
By Safety Joe on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car needed some TLC when I bought it. The drivers side seat belt ignition switch was starting to go bad. I decided to by-pass the system by cutting the wire that goes from the seat belt switch. I then connected the two wires leading away from the switch and pushed the wires back into the door. I've also replaced the coolant temp. sensor, a few vacuum hoses, one door handle and the engine knock sensor. The automatic transmition torque converter seal was leaking. I took the transmition out and put a new seal on it. Don't buy one of these cars if you can't fix them yourself.

I love My yellow 16v
By yellow16v on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

Everything about this car is great other than it's not built to take my abuse. I'm on my second motor and it runs beautiful, so did the first one until I advanced the timing and through a rod!

Never buy from an Auction
By falkn2002 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Carat 4dr Sedan

I bought this VW from an Auction. After no more than 2 days, the trasmission it started to leak fluid, the mechanic charged me $400 to fix a bad seal. Than after anoter 2 days, the Automatic Trans. start slipping with a weird noise, now I have to rebuild the trans. which will cost $1500, and this car has only 81,000 Miles. and 3 owners before me. I wounder what else will go bad with this VW.

jetta GLI 16V
By rob augello on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

i love the vw's. there so fun to drive and this 16v has decent power.i raced i 1.8t jetta and i held my own.The jetta still runs like new even at 135,000 miles.

Jetta's rule!
By jettagrrl on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I have had 3 91/92 Jettas over the past 10 years, and I will always say they are my favorite type of car. They run great, are fun to drive and look good too. Put on some BBS's and installed Recaro seats, and I was in heaven!

300,000km still strong
By 666 on 11/01/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I just purchased a 91 jetta GL. It has 300km on it and hasnt been rebuilt but still running strong. I think these cars can last forever if taken care of.

Nothing but fun
By a2jetta on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This is my second VW and I love it! It has only had normal maintenance. A couple of wrecks have not diminished the performance. It gave where it should have and repairs easily. Great docs.

Take a Walk on the Mild Side
By Sponge Bob Square VW on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The 1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL has been a very good car. The engine and transmission are superior because we have done a few simple things since day one: 1. We 'Baby' the car; 2. Use only synthetic motor oil (every 5k mi.); and 3. Use premium fuel. Our mechanic recently changed the valve cover gasket, looked inside, and said: "This does not look like an engine with 205k miles. It looks more like 75k." My mechanic is a friend and has 45 years experience with VW's. You be the judge....Thank you.

VW
By kjy on 10/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Carat 4dr Sedan

this is my forth vw and i've been pleased with all of them. i work on my own vehicle and volkswagen's have been a dream to work on.