Used 1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

great car with typical VW issues
By tmr

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I was inspired to write this review for the simple fact that the page says 22 mpg. That's impossible, I owned this car for 5 years and only once got below 24 mpg, usually more like 29 mpg, best I ever got was 41 mpg for a tank! Beyond that the car is fun to drive (I had manual GLi 16V), but has typical VW issues like the doors not working (they can be fixed), windshield wipers with mind of their own, and other electrical issues.

I loved and miss dearly my Recaro seats, sunroof, outside temp guage, trip timer, mileage calculator etc. I also miss the fun driving and great mileage.

Muffler hooks constantly break, eventually ending in expensive ($600) muffler replacements, fuel pump/fuel filter, door handles, windshield wipers, and all things electrical.

Great car for the budding mechanic
By Safety Joe

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

This car needed some TLC when I bought it. The drivers side seat belt ignition switch was starting to go bad. I decided to by-pass the system by cutting the wire that goes from the seat belt switch. I then connected the two wires leading away from the switch and pushed the wires back into the door. I've also replaced the coolant temp. sensor, a few vacuum hoses, one door handle and the engine knock sensor. The automatic transmition torque converter seal was leaking. I took the transmition out and put a new seal on it. Don't buy one of these cars if you can't fix them yourself.

I love My yellow 16v
By yellow16v

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

Everything about this car is great other than it's not built to take my abuse. I'm on my second motor and it runs beautiful, so did the first one until I advanced the timing and through a rod!

Handling machine, best style to this date

MORE POWER!!!!!!!

Never buy from an Auction
By falkn2002

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Carat 4dr Sedan

I bought this VW from an Auction. After no more than 2 days, the trasmission it started to leak fluid, the mechanic charged me $400 to fix a bad seal. Than after anoter 2 days, the Automatic Trans. start slipping with a weird noise, now I have to rebuild the trans. which will cost $1500, and this car has only 81,000 Miles. and 3 owners before me. I wounder what else will go bad with this VW.

jetta GLI 16V
By rob augello

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

i love the vw's. there so fun to drive and this 16v has decent power.i raced i 1.8t jetta and i held my own.The jetta still runs like new even at 135,000 miles.

bbs wheels ricaro seats sunroof

a little more power. less squeaks and i would like it if those oil, check engine lights didnt go on all the time.