Used 1991 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

1991 1.6TD Jetta Great for Work
By bioscan

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

This car runs superbly. Changed the head gasket at 330K and it was still in excellent shape internally, also changed the clutch in 2010. Good get up and go and gets 1000 km per 50 litre tank on the highway (20km/litre), 17km/litre in the city. Parts are still readily available. Good for another 10 years.

Favorite Features

1.6TD acceleration, central locking, hole in back seat for skiis or lumber.

great diesel
By diesel guy

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

This diesel has been great. i bought it with 119k and now have 146K and its still runs very strong and rteturns 45+ mpg on every tank. i have had a few routine problems such as a hole in the exhaust, some bad v belts, and bad front berrings. however, given the milage these problems are minor. i have recently come back from a cross country trip and averaged over 47 mpg at 65-70mph. yes this car is slow but it will eventually reach highway speeds. overall i love this car, becuase it very cheep to run and insure and when going down steep hills in neutral it will accelerate quite nicely.

Favorite Features

upright driving position, huge trunk, great milage, paint still shines even after 14 NY winters, engine will probably outlast me

Suggested Improvements

door handles especially in the rear tend to be stubborn, more power!!!!!!!

Always got 'er done
By Ramblin Rose

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

Overall my little Diesel Jetta GL was wonderful to me. I drove it, and drove it and drove it and it just kept on truckin. Gas mielage is out of this world and so is the heat it can pump out. I did have to replace two door handles. Aside for those and the glow plugs once I really didn't have any trouble with it. When I did I always had a heart attack, expecting the worst and it was always just a fuse! I'm serious people- fuses were the number one problem I had with that car. It was always groovy though because I don't mind twelve dollar repair bills. VW's rock and the diesels are rocks!

Favorite Features

HEAT, HEAT, HEAT!!! I'm such an ice cube in the winter and that thing kept me SOOOOOOOO warm. It was awesome. The trunk is HUGE, never a lack of space for my road trips. Gas mielage of course. Also very roomy inside, people in the back seat were always comfy.

Suggested Improvements

Door handles definately need improved, and being a diesel it wasn't the fastest thing but it always got me where I was going. The plastic trim on the car wasn't attached very well. VW should have used fake nail glue, that stuff holds anything!

the diesel is a winner
By Mr. Green

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

I have owned four or five VW diesels, all were/are impressive. Though the 91 Jetta has required more attention than the 84 I owned (starter rebuilt twice, alternator rebuilt once), the engine is mighty fine, the clutch is tight and the transmission has always shifted with minimal effort. I can load the car mercilessly and head off on vacation and get 45 mpg. I've only put about 100K on this car, but that's because I own too many cars. The VW will remain in the stable for years to come. I really like the car.

Favorite Features

Reliable diesel engine, (though it could definitely benefit from a turbo), great clutch and transmission, LARGE trunk, cold AC, edifying interior, comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

Door latches seem to be a problem, and the engine could really use a turbo. Also, the road/engine noise is annoying at high speeds, but not intolerable. And, there are some annoying electrical problems, which I usually fix myself.