1991 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
1991 1.6TD Jetta Great for Work
By bioscan on 05/24/11 17:38 PM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

This car runs superbly. Changed the head gasket at 330K and it was still in excellent shape internally, also changed the clutch in 2010. Good get up and go and gets 1000 km per 50 litre tank on the highway (20km/litre), 17km/litre in the city. Parts are still readily available. Good for another 10 years.

Cool Little Car
By Ryan on 06/24/09 23:26 PM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2dr Coupe

I bought this car just a few months ago from a private seller in my neighborhood. I got it with 145,000 miles on it, in excellent running condition. These are built to last! The original engine runs great, has decent get-up in the city with only 103 horsepower. The two door coupe model has excellent room in the front and back seats, large rear windows, terrific visibility, and an enormous trunk. Great car.

great car with typical VW issues
By tmr on 01/12/09 13:25 PM (PST)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I was inspired to write this review for the simple fact that the page says 22 mpg. That's impossible, I owned this car for 5 years and only once got below 24 mpg, usually more like 29 mpg, best I ever got was 41 mpg for a tank! Beyond that the car is fun to drive (I had manual GLi 16V), but has typical VW issues like the doors not working (they can be fixed), windshield wipers with mind of their own, and other electrical issues.

German-made Jetta
By t3jason on 08/29/06 12:54 PM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2dr Coupe

My '91 Jetta has 315,000 miles on it now with no major work done, just one clutch and it is still going strong. I was told when buying a Jetta always buy the German built ones. I'm glad I did. I am considering upgrading to the new wagon, which is also German built. Maybe I`ll get lucky twice.

great diesel
By diesel guy on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

This diesel has been great. i bought it with 119k and now have 146K and its still runs very strong and rteturns 45+ mpg on every tank. i have had a few routine problems such as a hole in the exhaust, some bad v belts, and bad front berrings. however, given the milage these problems are minor. i have recently come back from a cross country trip and averaged over 47 mpg at 65-70mph. yes this car is slow but it will eventually reach highway speeds. overall i love this car, becuase it very cheep to run and insure and when going down steep hills in neutral it will accelerate quite nicely.

Always got 'er done
By Ramblin Rose on 04/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

Overall my little Diesel Jetta GL was wonderful to me. I drove it, and drove it and drove it and it just kept on truckin. Gas mielage is out of this world and so is the heat it can pump out. I did have to replace two door handles. Aside for those and the glow plugs once I really didn't have any trouble with it. When I did I always had a heart attack, expecting the worst and it was always just a fuse! I'm serious people- fuses were the number one problem I had with that car. It was always groovy though because I don't mind twelve dollar repair bills. VW's rock and the diesels are rocks!

the diesel is a winner
By Mr. Green on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL Diesel 4dr Sedan

I have owned four or five VW diesels, all were/are impressive. Though the 91 Jetta has required more attention than the 84 I owned (starter rebuilt twice, alternator rebuilt once), the engine is mighty fine, the clutch is tight and the transmission has always shifted with minimal effort. I can load the car mercilessly and head off on vacation and get 45 mpg. I've only put about 100K on this car, but that's because I own too many cars. The VW will remain in the stable for years to come. I really like the car.

Great car for the budding mechanic
By Safety Joe on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

This car needed some TLC when I bought it. The drivers side seat belt ignition switch was starting to go bad. I decided to by-pass the system by cutting the wire that goes from the seat belt switch. I then connected the two wires leading away from the switch and pushed the wires back into the door. I've also replaced the coolant temp. sensor, a few vacuum hoses, one door handle and the engine knock sensor. The automatic transmition torque converter seal was leaking. I took the transmition out and put a new seal on it. Don't buy one of these cars if you can't fix them yourself.

I love My yellow 16v
By yellow16v on 06/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

Everything about this car is great other than it's not built to take my abuse. I'm on my second motor and it runs beautiful, so did the first one until I advanced the timing and through a rod!

Never buy from an Auction
By falkn2002 on 04/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1991 Volkswagen Jetta Carat 4dr Sedan

I bought this VW from an Auction. After no more than 2 days, the trasmission it started to leak fluid, the mechanic charged me $400 to fix a bad seal. Than after anoter 2 days, the Automatic Trans. start slipping with a weird noise, now I have to rebuild the trans. which will cost $1500, and this car has only 81,000 Miles. and 3 owners before me. I wounder what else will go bad with this VW.