1990 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - They don't make 'em like

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Review

They don't make 'em like they used to...
By JettaLover4Ever on

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

My '90 Jetta has been a great, great car, plain and simple. Built in Germany when that still meant something good, it's lasted me 5 happy years, from 140K thru 180K miles and STILL going strong - can't bear the thought of parting with it soon. It's let me down only twice - once the fuel pump broke, the other the alternator. Fantastic sporty handling, fun to drive, peppy 1.8 motor, great fuel economy, that trademark giant trunk, solid build quality and real character - not to mention mechanics straight- forward enough that I can work on it myself when maintenance is needed. This is a true driver's car - if you can find one to buy, it's highly recommended.

Favorite Features

Traditional VW reliability, simple unfussy design and engineering, solid build quality, handling, fun to drive, super-comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better door handles, some random leaks in the rain, and a headliner that doesn't fall down. Otherwise, nothing. It was perfect just the way it was. Thank you, VW, of days of yore...