1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Ultimate commuter
By tuck on 06/11/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 130k on the clock and I now have 180k. I have driven the snot out of this car and it just keeps coming back for more. I redline it, corner it hard, shift hard, brake hard, etc. and it loves it. The Recaro seats are great, the motor's powerband is fun and it is quite economical despite the way that I drive it. A/C has not worked since I bought it. Heater core also went out. Headliner sagged so I cut it out. I average 26 - 29 mpg (calculated by hand). The MFA registers 32 mpg.

My favorite car
By katiekins on 03/05/08 19:46 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car three years ago and it won't die. I've put a lot of work into it but it has all been worth it. I've replaced the starter, suspension, tires, radiator, heater core and coolant resevoir. But I love this car and will replace any part until the thing refuses to ever start again.

Fun Euro Looks and Ride
By Fabian on 01/28/06 17:10 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volkswagen Jetta is fast and well built! I have outperformed BMWs and others on the road with this car! It handles really well and since I dropped it and added Toyos, the car stays on the road without any problems at high speed.

Experience over Five Years
By Rod on 11/22/05 22:13 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volkswagen Jetta is a very well designed car. Itís very practical and reliable. There's few modern gadgets that are prone to breaking and leaving you stranded. This car has very few electrical components compared to a new vehicle, so it is very inexpensive to maintain-no electric mirrors, door locks, windows to break-down. The spark plugs, oil, fuel and air filers are very simple to change yourself and the parts are inexpensive. The trunk is very large and tall for a smaller car, offering high utility. The seats and covers are very high quality and provide considerable adjustment and firm comfort compared to similar class US or Japanese cars. The downside is the poor quality paint - assembled Mexico. The German paint is three times better.

They don't make 'em like they used to...
By JettaLover4Ever on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My '90 Jetta has been a great, great car, plain and simple. Built in Germany when that still meant something good, it's lasted me 5 happy years, from 140K thru 180K miles and STILL going strong - can't bear the thought of parting with it soon. It's let me down only twice - once the fuel pump broke, the other the alternator. Fantastic sporty handling, fun to drive, peppy 1.8 motor, great fuel economy, that trademark giant trunk, solid build quality and real character - not to mention mechanics straight- forward enough that I can work on it myself when maintenance is needed. This is a true driver's car - if you can find one to buy, it's highly recommended.

16V
By sixteenvalve on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

Fast, fun to drive, very stable in corners. Drives smooth, has plenty of power and is very comfortable to drive in all day long. I have had it 3 years and put many miles on it, 65,000 so far. I never have had any big problems and I do all the work myself.

I love this car!
By kyle34s on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car for 250 bucks, replaced the exhaust which rusted out for 250, and am now looking at another one which is identical for parts, as it was in a minor accident before i got it. It has 225,000 miles on it and it keeps up with most cars. The only other thing i have replcaed mechanically is the front brake pads and rotors and the right front strut froze up and i replaced that. This is a great car and i hope i never have to give it up.

THE CAR JUST TO OWN
By makha on 06/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

WHEN I BOUGHT A 1990 VW I WAS SKEPTICAL ABOUT THE PERFORMANCE OF A 13 YEARS. I'M PLANNING ON BUYING A NEWER CAR BUT STILL HAVE RESERVATIONS ON GIVNG UP THIS ONE. I DRIVE THIS CAR NIGHT & day DOING 90 MILES PER HR YET I'VE HAD NO PROBLEM W/ IT SO far

Excellent value for the dollar
By VW for Life on 10/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My 90 Jetta has 163,000 miles on it and runs like new! This car has given back many times over what I paid for it.. It still has the original clutch, and I've only had to replace minor things: All four door handles at one time or another, brakes, tires, the usual. Preventive maintenance goes a long way with these cars. The A/C stopped working long ago. The 90 Jetta is one of the last years these cars were built in Germany, and the quality shows. You take care of this car and will not let you down. In closing, the 1990 Jetta is a fantastic car and I recommend it highly.

Good reliable car
By Yes-Jessica on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

Hi VW owners, I've had my Jetta for 12 years now. It has almost 150,000 miles on it and I've never had any problem with it. Very cheap on maintenance costs. Had to replace the air conditioner on it about 4 years ago and muffler & tires. Its been a very reliable car and now I'm going to get another VW. Moving up to the Passat!