Used 1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Ultimate commuter
By tuck

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 130k on the clock and I now have 180k. I have driven the snot out of this car and it just keeps coming back for more. I redline it, corner it hard, shift hard, brake hard, etc. and it loves it. The Recaro seats are great, the motor's powerband is fun and it is quite economical despite the way that I drive it. A/C has not worked since I bought it. Heater core also went out. Headliner sagged so I cut it out. I average 26 - 29 mpg (calculated by hand). The MFA registers 32 mpg.

Seats, motor, handling, classic looks.

Make it rear while drive and I'll hang on to it forever.

My favorite car
By katiekins

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car three years ago and it won't die. I've put a lot of work into it but it has all been worth it. I've replaced the starter, suspension, tires, radiator, heater core and coolant resevoir. But I love this car and will replace any part until the thing refuses to ever start again.

Great body, good leg room.

Cup holders, sturdier door handles.

Fun Euro Looks and Ride
By Fabian

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volkswagen Jetta is fast and well built! I have outperformed BMWs and others on the road with this car! It handles really well and since I dropped it and added Toyos, the car stays on the road without any problems at high speed.

The manual transmission is awesome!

The interior could have been more luxurious and not so plastic looking.

Experience over Five Years
By Rod

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volkswagen Jetta is a very well designed car. Itís very practical and reliable. There's few modern gadgets that are prone to breaking and leaving you stranded. This car has very few electrical components compared to a new vehicle, so it is very inexpensive to maintain-no electric mirrors, door locks, windows to break-down. The spark plugs, oil, fuel and air filers are very simple to change yourself and the parts are inexpensive. The trunk is very large and tall for a smaller car, offering high utility. The seats and covers are very high quality and provide considerable adjustment and firm comfort compared to similar class US or Japanese cars. The downside is the poor quality paint - assembled Mexico. The German paint is three times better.

The seats, side visability, great brakes, and large trunk.

Add more padding in the center of the rear seat. Also, it needs a larger glove box.

They don't make 'em like they used to...
By JettaLover4Ever

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

My '90 Jetta has been a great, great car, plain and simple. Built in Germany when that still meant something good, it's lasted me 5 happy years, from 140K thru 180K miles and STILL going strong - can't bear the thought of parting with it soon. It's let me down only twice - once the fuel pump broke, the other the alternator. Fantastic sporty handling, fun to drive, peppy 1.8 motor, great fuel economy, that trademark giant trunk, solid build quality and real character - not to mention mechanics straight- forward enough that I can work on it myself when maintenance is needed. This is a true driver's car - if you can find one to buy, it's highly recommended.

Traditional VW reliability, simple unfussy design and engineering, solid build quality, handling, fun to drive, super-comfy seats.

Better door handles, some random leaks in the rain, and a headliner that doesn't fall down. Otherwise, nothing. It was perfect just the way it was. Thank you, VW, of days of yore...

• SUV