Used 1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Coupe - Consumer Reviews

GL 1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (5 reviews )

My first car / everlasting love
By shamarcus

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

Since this was my first car, I am a little biased toward the Jetta. I will try to base my review on my feelings during the early years of ownership when I was in college. The car was FUN - GREAT TO DRIVE. I had the 5sp manual. It had great torque for a 1.8L engine. Fuel economy averaged 24mpg/29mpg. I drove my car hard from day one like a young mad man. I bought it with ~97k miles and donated it with ~183k miles on Dec 2005. I was sad to let her go. The engine was bulletproof. I was hard on wear and tear parts such as brakes and suspension because I drove hard. Considering the hard life up to 150k miles the car was reliable. Previous owner took car of all of the early bugs.

Large trunk to overload the car. Great engine. Manual 5 speed. Reverse was next to 1st gear. The A/C was great (cold). German engineering. Dashboard design for a 1990. I learned a lot about cars on this car.

I had no cruise control. Find a good mechanic that can take care of you and the car. 2 door little car is a bad idea. Stick with 4 doors if it is not a vette. Thermostat switch went out so radiator valve was always wide open making for a cool heater when driving, but warm when idle.

Coolest car in the world
By vdubster

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I bought my car for $1,200 w/108,000 miles on it, and it runs great. I have 2 1/4 catback exaust, cold air intake, racing seats, short shifter, grant steering wheel, but that's about it. I finish a 1/4 mile at about 85-90 mph, its ok .

I love the body style over any other body style in the family, the big bumpers, double round headlights, and that awsome beefey sound.

Keeps going and going
By ratman

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

Got the car with 135k on it. Now its got 165k. It has got me threw highschool and now i'm starting college and it is still going. Its burning a little oil and the tranny leaks out a quart every 1000 miles and it only holds 2 quarts. I ran it dri before i figured out this and it started sounding like a space ship but it lived. It does pretty good off road for fwd. She look preety bad but I don't care. Ran over a ciderblock once and nothing broke except my exhaust spring clamp. No rust under the vehicle and shes been threw lots of PA and NJ winters. Also it has a truck bed for a trunk. For such a small car the trunk is huge.

Seats, they are very comfortable. Better than my moms 01 civic. They are 6 way adjustable too. I like the storage bins on the doors. I can put a ton of stuff there. Its very easy to see out of and has small blind spots.

It should have at least one cupholder for the driver but it does'nt. A better seal in the tranny would be nice. Maybe more sound deadening material too, you can hold a conversation if your going over 55 on the highway.

I love Jettas!
By tiggerlyhuggable

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

She's a good car, but she's old and has had her share of problems.

You get what you pay for
By J Tweezy

1990 Volkswagen Jetta Coupe GL 2dr Coupe

I was looking for something that was cheap, reliable. It's not the best looking car, but man does it run. Not one problem starting it, not one problem running it. The muffler ran out, but mufflers go on cars. It's been getting me over 33 mpg on the highway, and 26 in rush hour suburb driving. I just want it to last me a few years until I graduate school, and with no problems and lots of fun driving in it, I have no doubt that it will. It's a 1990, and it runs like my '99 used to (minus the good looks).

Stick shift, manual windows (power windows break and cost money), the absolute lack of power

smaller trunk with more back seat room. Is it really necessary to have as much trunk space as a 4door Ford pickup?