1990 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Ultimate commuter
By tuck on 06/11/09 06:34 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

I bought mine with 130k on the clock and I now have 180k. I have driven the snot out of this car and it just keeps coming back for more. I redline it, corner it hard, shift hard, brake hard, etc. and it loves it. The Recaro seats are great, the motor's powerband is fun and it is quite economical despite the way that I drive it. A/C has not worked since I bought it. Heater core also went out. Headliner sagged so I cut it out. I average 26 - 29 mpg (calculated by hand). The MFA registers 32 mpg.

My favorite car
By katiekins on 03/05/08 19:46 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car three years ago and it won't die. I've put a lot of work into it but it has all been worth it. I've replaced the starter, suspension, tires, radiator, heater core and coolant resevoir. But I love this car and will replace any part until the thing refuses to ever start again.

My first car / everlasting love
By shamarcus on 07/06/07 09:38 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2dr Coupe

Since this was my first car, I am a little biased toward the Jetta. I will try to base my review on my feelings during the early years of ownership when I was in college. The car was FUN - GREAT TO DRIVE. I had the 5sp manual. It had great torque for a 1.8L engine. Fuel economy averaged 24mpg/29mpg. I drove my car hard from day one like a young mad man. I bought it with ~97k miles and donated it with ~183k miles on Dec 2005. I was sad to let her go. The engine was bulletproof. I was hard on wear and tear parts such as brakes and suspension because I drove hard. Considering the hard life up to 150k miles the car was reliable. Previous owner took car of all of the early bugs.

Fun Euro Looks and Ride
By Fabian on 01/28/06 17:10 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volkswagen Jetta is fast and well built! I have outperformed BMWs and others on the road with this car! It handles really well and since I dropped it and added Toyos, the car stays on the road without any problems at high speed.

Experience over Five Years
By Rod on 11/22/05 22:13 PM (PST)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

The 1990 Volkswagen Jetta is a very well designed car. ItÂ’s very practical and reliable. There's few modern gadgets that are prone to breaking and leaving you stranded. This car has very few electrical components compared to a new vehicle, so it is very inexpensive to maintain-no electric mirrors, door locks, windows to break-down. The spark plugs, oil, fuel and air filers are very simple to change yourself and the parts are inexpensive. The trunk is very large and tall for a smaller car, offering high utility. The seats and covers are very high quality and provide considerable adjustment and firm comfort compared to similar class US or Japanese cars. The downside is the poor quality paint - assembled Mexico. The German paint is three times better.

Coolest car in the world
By vdubster on 05/23/05 01:48 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2dr Coupe

I bought my car for $1,200 w/108,000 miles on it, and it runs great. I have 2 1/4 catback exaust, cold air intake, racing seats, short shifter, grant steering wheel, but that's about it. I finish a 1/4 mile at about 85-90 mph, its ok .

They don't make 'em like they used to...
By JettaLover4Ever on 10/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

My '90 Jetta has been a great, great car, plain and simple. Built in Germany when that still meant something good, it's lasted me 5 happy years, from 140K thru 180K miles and STILL going strong - can't bear the thought of parting with it soon. It's let me down only twice - once the fuel pump broke, the other the alternator. Fantastic sporty handling, fun to drive, peppy 1.8 motor, great fuel economy, that trademark giant trunk, solid build quality and real character - not to mention mechanics straight- forward enough that I can work on it myself when maintenance is needed. This is a true driver's car - if you can find one to buy, it's highly recommended.

16V
By sixteenvalve on 09/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GLI 16V 4dr Sedan

Fast, fun to drive, very stable in corners. Drives smooth, has plenty of power and is very comfortable to drive in all day long. I have had it 3 years and put many miles on it, 65,000 so far. I never have had any big problems and I do all the work myself.

I love this car!
By kyle34s on 06/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan

I got this car for 250 bucks, replaced the exhaust which rusted out for 250, and am now looking at another one which is identical for parts, as it was in a minor accident before i got it. It has 225,000 miles on it and it keeps up with most cars. The only other thing i have replcaed mechanically is the front brake pads and rotors and the right front strut froze up and i replaced that. This is a great car and i hope i never have to give it up.

Keeps going and going
By ratman on 09/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Volkswagen Jetta GL 2dr Coupe

Got the car with 135k on it. Now its got 165k. It has got me threw highschool and now i'm starting college and it is still going. Its burning a little oil and the tranny leaks out a quart every 1000 miles and it only holds 2 quarts. I ran it dri before i figured out this and it started sounding like a space ship but it lived. It does pretty good off road for fwd. She look preety bad but I don't care. Ran over a ciderblock once and nothing broke except my exhaust spring clamp. No rust under the vehicle and shes been threw lots of PA and NJ winters. Also it has a truck bed for a trunk. For such a small car the trunk is huge.