2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: Incredibly surprising and much

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Review

S Wagon (2.5L 5-cyl. 6-speed Automatic)

Incredibly surprising and much more than expected.
By shaun_go_5 on

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I took possession of a 2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen S on 10/13/12 and to say that this is my favorite drive out of all the vehicles that I've had would be an understatement. Being a brand loyalist I have had a VW through the ongoing phases of life starting with a Golf, passing through the Tiguan, and now my first wagon. The 2013 S Automatic Wagon feels like a well crafted luxury ride without the luxury price tag. The interior is comfortable, functional, and spacious. The exterior is sleek, with clean lines and a European look. The car is 170HP and 177 pounds of torque with a tiptronic (sport mode included) transmission that is simply fun to drive. Weekend trip 238 Miles on 1/5 tank of gas.

Comfort, handling, acceleration/ deceleration, fuel economy, spaciousness.

Offer leather seats with S model.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By lshepard
on 02/17/15 14:58 PM (PST)

I now have 34,000 mile on my Sportwagen S. My winter mileage has hovered between 33 mpg-35 mpg. The car is still quiet, very comfortable on the highway and very responsive in city/suburban traffic. Despite what others may have said about the 2.5 engine, I feel that it has more than enough horsepower and torque for any situation and it runs on low-test @$2.29. I get 450 miles per tank on the open road, not like the 550 I got with the Diesel Golf. I tried to have the MDI upgrade installed and gave up after two tries. The Bluetooth iPhone or my iPod with the Aux cable are more than enough. I bought a clip that holds either device on the vent (Staples) and I have found that Google navigation works just fine. The Hankook tires are just ok, and as I said in an earlier post I will upgrade to Continental or General Altima. Once in a while I miss not having a sunroof but that could be rectified with an aftermarket installation.

By lshepard
on 01/10/16 10:52 AM (PST)

I have had my 2013 JSW for two years and remain pleased with my choice. I get 35/36 mpg on the highway (assuming that the instrument cluster is not lying.)I have 52,000 miles and the Hankook tires still have .8 treads. With low test gas at $2. per gallon it is inexpensive to run. A few minor problems with power windows, still covered under warranty by a good dealer. It am able to change the cabin air filter easily but the engine air filter is strangely under a hard-to-remove cover. The 50K service including the transmission fluid change was over $700. and I did not have the sparkplugs changed. They are platinium and I was under the assumption that they would be good for many more miles. I hope to have this car for many more years. It is much quieter than my wife's A3 tdi not-so-clean diesel. There are times she prefers the VW to the Audi. I find the Audi leather seats uncomfortable after an hour or so. The Audi dealer has pastry and better coffee than the VW dealer and is more conveniently located but I have no complaints about either Coastal VW or Prime Audi.

By sashamd
on 12/30/14 18:47 PM (PST)

Now I usually select Continentals and Yokohamas, have bought other brands recently as well such as Falken.

By lshepard
on 02/24/14 10:30 AM (PST)

I bought my 2013 Sportwagen S with 6 speed auto as a Certified Used Car in December 2013 from Coastal VW in Hanover, MA. They were easy to work with. It had 18,000 miles and only minor flaws. It replaced my 2013 Golf TDI (GLS 5 speed) which threw a valve at 182,000 miles. I love this wagon. It is quiet, responsive, takes regular gas and gets 35 mpg on the highway. I think it won't cost much more (if at all) to run than the Golf. The bluetooth and sound system are excellent standard features including floor lighting and good cloth upholstery with heated seats. I may replace the steel wheels with alloys and better tires, in the meantime the Hankook Optimos are fairly quiet even if they don't have the most grip, maybe the Conti's I used on the Golf. (Suggestions wanted here.)