Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta-sportwagen - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

Update on my May 2013 review
By desertguy51

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Updating my May 2013 review Great seats for long drives. Excellent lumbar support. I'd like full power seats, but at least the power seat back adjustment is a great idea. Mileage: Great. Recent trip: Palm Springs to Oakland: 35.5 mpg. Marin to Ventura counties: 37.5 Ventura to Palm Springs: 39.5 This is not the TDI, so although I'd love the additional power of the turbo, the excellent mileage has compensated for the 2.5. Bluetooth works well, although I did have to have the dealer pair my phone to it. They were happy to do it and I have to say that VW service has been excellent from VW of Palm Springs.

Favorite Features

Adjustable lumbar support for driver seat, with power back adjust. Storage capacity - the Monster Mat package turns out to be really useful. Bluetooth. I'm a firm believer in no hand held devices while driving, so this is a great feature.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth. Make the voice directions a bit faster, less lag time before being able to actually instruct the system to connect to a specific contact. Also, cancelling a call is still a bit confusing. Offering a good back up camera, not just on top of the line models. Offering full power seats as an option on all models. This is less about luxury than about back support, reducing fatigue and pain.

An amazing value
By unearthed

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am really very impressed by the features and value of the base model Sportwagen S. If you are looking for an upscale interior and a large cargo area, there really isn't another vehicle that compares. It is comfortable to sit in, drives very well, and comes equipped with virtually all the features one would look for in a daily driver.

Favorite Features

Standard: Heated seats, mirrors, and wiper nozzles. Power everything, 8 speaker stereo, huge cargo area, decent acceleration, good handling.

Suggested Improvements

The SE model is not as appealing to me. The seats do not feel like leather, they are hard and you can tell they are vinyl. The upgraded stereo is nice, and so are the wheels, but it just does not seem like a nice enough package to warrant the upgrade $$. Also, I test drove a couple of these, and they all have a very strange, almost delayed throttle response with the automatic. Edmunds also noted this. No USB port?

Glad to be back in a Jetta
By desertguy51

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

There was one manual S available in all of Southern California when I was in the market. While I loved the response of the TD, I just couldn't justify the additional $5-10K. Plus, I live in the desert, so I really don't have any desire for a sunroof. This car replaces a 2009 Subaru Forester, a reliable yet gas guzzling AWD, with no power & awful seats. I don't regret not spending the extra $ for the diesel because I'm consistently getting 33-35 mpg/hwy, 26-28mpg/city. I drive 60/40 hwy/city. After 5 months, with 5K miles, I'm thoroughly enjoying this car. Though this is as basic a Sportwagen as one could probably find, I got a lot of car for a very reasonable price.

Favorite Features

What I like/love about this car: Very good MPG. Great VW Seats: Fit, lumbar support, power recline even on an S model. The power recline is a good feature. I don't move my seat back and forth much so the manual feature on that and the seat height is fine. But I do adjust the recline on long trips because it helps relieve pressure on my lower back. Gearbox and clutch throw. Both very good. Shifting is quick and quiet. Turning radius is tight and cornering is excellent. Interior design is very nice, with good space planning, materials, and fit and finishing. Cargo space is great. This car came with the lego like cargo holders and the monster mats. The rear mat is great with my dogs.

Suggested Improvements

Climate control system could use some refinement. It seems to take a while for the AC to really kick in. I live in the desert, so this is rather important. Also, the adjustments, while rather basic, could be better marked. I'd like to see more options available, such as a rearview mirror with Homelink and compass.

JSW 2.5L S - A great deal on a solid car.
By interactive3

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I prefer a manual transmission so I had to get the base S model. (No sunroof, No chrome around the side windows) Previous car: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 1.8T. I had to give up AWD and auto climate control :( The Sportwagen build quality is not quite a clean, there is some sub par assembly of a few interior pieces. After 1 week I'm very happy with the car. Brakes, engine, transmission and clutch/shifting are all strong points. The construction feels solid. Handling good. Suspension good. 4th and 5th gear are tall, lowering the RPMs. The 5 cylinder engine is smooth and up to the task. FYI - It feels like the car has a large flywheel. The engine is slow to rev and decelerate.

Favorite Features

Solid Feel. Cloth Seats. Great highway mileage (getting 34mpg) All windows one touch up/down. 1650 lb towing capacity. (2000 lbs. w/trailer brakes) Interior lighting operation, including footwell lighting. Bluetooth integration for phone audio. Excellent ergonomics - seats and controls are well placed. Seating controls - perfect mix if electric and manual. All windows up/down control with exterior key. Heated Seats/mirrors. Locking glove box. Low road/engine noise. IP and interior design. Roof Rails. Underfloor rear storage.

Suggested Improvements

Rear headrests should be easier to remove to facilitate folding the rear seats down (something I do often). Car settings should allow user to change auto-lock and alarm arming horn options. Radio needs DAB and separate station skip and preset skip buttons. Heated Steering wheel. Larger tinted side mirrors. 4motion option! Auto climate control option!! Fog/Cornering lights option. "grocery bag management". More dimming of white IP gauges. Full time powered front 12V socket.

Incredibly surprising and much more than expected.
By shaun_go_5

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I took possession of a 2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen S on 10/13/12 and to say that this is my favorite drive out of all the vehicles that I've had would be an understatement. Being a brand loyalist I have had a VW through the ongoing phases of life starting with a Golf, passing through the Tiguan, and now my first wagon. The 2013 S Automatic Wagon feels like a well crafted luxury ride without the luxury price tag. The interior is comfortable, functional, and spacious. The exterior is sleek, with clean lines and a European look. The car is 170HP and 177 pounds of torque with a tiptronic (sport mode included) transmission that is simply fun to drive. Weekend trip 238 Miles on 1/5 tank of gas.

Favorite Features

Comfort, handling, acceleration/ deceleration, fuel economy, spaciousness.

Suggested Improvements

Offer leather seats with S model.