2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:
Great wagon
By aitkenhead on 06/27/14 11:26 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

It is as other reviewers say, the car is a pleasure to drive. Road handling and braking feel very good. The interior details have good fitment and visual appeal. Controls are simple and uncluttered. Another reviewer says he chose the top end with Nav (which is actually a step down on radio/entertainment features, be aware of that) somewhat because it is combined with keyless entry/start, and I was motivated that way as well. Diesel MPG exceeds expectations. Note: stowing rear seat cushions to get a flat cargo space has a feeling of flimsiness about it, and required removal of rear headrests for this operation is a very inconvenient procedure.

Update on my May 2013 review
By desertguy51 on 03/25/14 08:21 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Updating my May 2013 review Great seats for long drives. Excellent lumbar support. I'd like full power seats, but at least the power seat back adjustment is a great idea. Mileage: Great. Recent trip: Palm Springs to Oakland: 35.5 mpg. Marin to Ventura counties: 37.5 Ventura to Palm Springs: 39.5 This is not the TDI, so although I'd love the additional power of the turbo, the excellent mileage has compensated for the 2.5. Bluetooth works well, although I did have to have the dealer pair my phone to it. They were happy to do it and I have to say that VW service has been excellent from VW of Palm Springs.

An amazing value
By unearthed on 02/27/14 02:57 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I am really very impressed by the features and value of the base model Sportwagen S. If you are looking for an upscale interior and a large cargo area, there really isn't another vehicle that compares. It is comfortable to sit in, drives very well, and comes equipped with virtually all the features one would look for in a daily driver.

Simplify
By mtnmike4 on 10/30/13 17:28 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

Drove from Orlando to Philadelphia on just 2 fuel stops. average 41.8 MPG. Passed many a hybrid "conserving" fuel. TDI gives plenty of pep for passing and having the "manual mode" helps when pulling hills or overtaking. Fits our 3 person family just fine with even a large 2 seat Burly bike stroller in the back. We chose this over an Outback due to fuel savings. It also beat the Focus hatchback due to cargo capacity. The Focus did not pass the stroller fit test. Dash is simple to use ..controls on the steering wheel are easy to adjust to. Blue tooth is exceptional... Have over 11 k in just 6 mo. Couldn't be happier

WOW! Very Impressive Vehicle.
By thamid on 09/09/13 06:25 AM (PDT)

I purchased my JSW TDI last October (2013 model) and now have 16,000 miles on it. First diesel and first VW owned. Build quality and reliability thus far has been impeccable. Not a single rattle. There is also a distinct solidness to everything...the sound of the doors when shut, the firmness of all switches/ buttons and so on. Everything has the feel/ quality of a much higher priced European vehicle. Room? I cross-shopped against small to medium sized SUV's and other wagons (Subaru, Acura, Prius V) and the JSW offers more useable cargo space than any of the rivals, all while offering drive-ability and road feel not too far off from a sports car.

Warning: TDI fuel pump
By badtux on 08/05/13 21:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Volkswagen specifically states that putting biodiesel in your tank will void your warranty and many people have had their vehicles fail. Unfortunately B10 or B20 (10% or 20% biodiesel) is all that's available in several midwestern states. Be forewarned -- filling your VW up with diesel can kill it.

Glad to be back in a Jetta
By desertguy51 on 05/17/13 10:11 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

There was one manual S available in all of Southern California when I was in the market. While I loved the response of the TD, I just couldn't justify the additional $5-10K. Plus, I live in the desert, so I really don't have any desire for a sunroof. This car replaces a 2009 Subaru Forester, a reliable yet gas guzzling AWD, with no power & awful seats. I don't regret not spending the extra $ for the diesel because I'm consistently getting 33-35 mpg/hwy, 26-28mpg/city. I drive 60/40 hwy/city. After 5 months, with 5K miles, I'm thoroughly enjoying this car. Though this is as basic a Sportwagen as one could probably find, I got a lot of car for a very reasonable price.

First Impression: 1500 miles.............
By ezshift5 on 05/16/13 07:02 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

2013 VW JSW TDI 6M - - - - White with Cornsilk interior. Lots of room. Sturdy VTEX (that's VW for leatherette) interior. Has a clutch, six speed manual shift transmission and the top three gears are overdrives................. Which permits some really impressive fuel numbers. (but the reader already knows this). Driving the car is easy from steering, braking and acceleration (236 lb/feet of torque 1750 - 2200 RPM) standpoints. Fold down the rear seats and there is the same cargo capacity as my 1982 VW diesel pickup!! Altho' the electronic compass was delivered with a compass that read S when heading N, the very capable dealership in California's capital provided a quick fix.

11 of 19,746 people found this review helpful
2013 VW Jetta Sport Wagon TDI /Nav and Sunroof
By mtncam on 03/23/13 06:09 AM (PDT)

We purchased our new TDI Sport Wagon March 8th 2013. Our new Jetta is quite, smooth and powerful. This car is very satisfying to drive on the highway and around town as well. If you are looking for a safe,relaxing and economical vehicle you need not look any further.

Great Car!
By di96 on 01/01/13 07:53 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

If there is a 'have it all' car on the market this is it. -Over 40mpg -32cuft of storage (seats in place!) -Available with manual or DSG -tow over 2k lbs Interior design is fantastic, night driving is a pleasure, dash is very pleasant to look at with the white lights black backdrop. Insurance rates are lower on this car then any hybrids ($200 a yr less then a Prius for me), more then pays for the extra cost of diesel. The navigation system is so-so, but I knew that when I bought it from the test drive. The only reason I still went with the top end nav package is because of the KEYSS system, never need to take the keys out of my pocket is sweet.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen in VA is:

$176 per month*