2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: STAY AWAY

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Review

TDI Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

By on

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago. Automatic Transmission. I commute 50 miles to work each way daily. I traded in a reliable and loved subaru for the TDI for fuel economy. BIG MISTAKE. It drives terribly. From the second day of ownership the car bucks terribly the first few miles of driving if it has sat for longer than a 4 hour period of time. Dealership says this is normal. Whiplash is not normal in a brand new car. Also, the fan stays on for extended periods of time after driving. Also told this was normal. Cooling is fine, but an hour for the fan to stay on? I dont buy it. My relationship with VW isnt off to a good start. I have a feeling I will be returning to Subaru, and soon!

Fix the faulty DSG transmission issues. After further research I am learning that there are a lot of people who have bucking and hard shifting when starting out with a cold car. Even if its 80 degrees out. And stop telling people this is normal. Its a faulty tranny, own up to it.
By jmramos
on 07/12/12 19:53 PM (PDT)

Recently took delivery of a 2012 JSW TDI, and am having a similar problem, but I consider the issue to be a hesitation in the engine rather than a transmission problem. When cold, if I lift even a bit, I get a severe on/off hesitation. If I stay gently on the gas for a couple of blocks, no problem. Why do you think this is a transmission issue? In either case, unacceptable, and I intend to pursue the problem with my dealer.

By bjudd4
on 10/06/12 08:58 AM (PDT)

Though I cannot comment on the DSG issue you mention (other than that I do not experience any such things in my '12 6spd manual trans Sportwagen TDI), the cooling fan running for an extended period of time is indeed perfectly normal for the 2.0L TDI engines. These engines go through an active regen cycle every 500 or so miles, in which the car burns off the excess soot within the system caused naturally by diesel combustion. During this cycle, temperatures in the diesel particulate filter (DPF) are elevated to over 1000 deg. F to burn off the soot. If you shut the car off during one of these cycles (which is ok), the cooling fans continue to run for an extended period of time to counter these high temperatures in the DPF. All part of the clean-diesel process! Nothing to worry about there.