MPG
By geo02r1 on
2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)
I purchased a 2012 VW sportwagon se 2.5 rather than a Nissan Frontier truck mostly for the MPG. Having owned a Toyota that had lower EPA MPG, I thought it was a good move. The car's EPA MPG is 23 city/31 Hwy. I expected 25-26 combined. I'm getting 18-19 driving conservatively. I went to the dealer thinking there was something wrong and was told it's fine. I contacted VW Corp. and was told it's the way I drive. WARNING VOLKSWAGON MPG IS FALSE !!!!!! I WISH I NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGON
Favorite Features
The car is fine, drives well (under powered with only 170 hp), handles well and has nice amenities.
Suggested Improvements
Stop lying about the EPA MPG !
By bjudd4
on 02/10/13 07:02 AM (PST)

Do you live in a really hilly area or do a lot of stop-and-go driving? Maybe poor quality of fuel you are putting in it? I've had three Jettas with the 2.5L and 5spd manual and ALWAYS got 25-30mpg in mixed driving, and I don't exactly have a light foot... The EPA ratings are definitely accurate, but something about your car or driving conditions seems to be an anomaly.

By kathystarzyk
on 02/12/13 00:48 AM (PST)

I seriously think it's your driving...I have had VW's for as long as I have had a DL and includes 4 Jettas. This also included one of the first V6 with manual transmission and after it was 10 yr old I was still getting 30mpg! The only VW I've had that got "bad" gas mileage (and it was still better than yours at 22 mpg!) was my V6 Eurovan with auto transmission. I even have a 2004 Jetta now that my daughter drives and it's auto trans and gets 27mpg! Don't worry, those of us that love VW's will always love them no matter what you say. Are you using a calculator?