2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: Great Road Car

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon - Consumer Review

Great Road Car
By teaton1 on

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Bought this new 9 months ago with plans on moving it to Central Europe. This is our highway car. Very comfortable and economical. Love the steering and 6 speed manual transmission. I am not a great diesel driver... I occasionally stall out in first gear. Not quite enough very low end torque. I stalled more so with an older Audi A6 than this VW. I love the brake assist on hills... comes standard even with the stick shift. The radio speakers are really bad. I would never have kept the Sirius radio anyway, but if I were a radio-phile this is not the radio to have. Our Honda Fit (for the city) has a great sound system for a little car. Overall this is an excellent buy.

Highway comfort and economy. Helpful computer information. Great seats, steering and manual 6-speed tranny.

The headrests are very difficult to remove. The rears are a different mechanism than the fronts. I have to go to the manual each time to do it. When you want the entire cargo space you need to remove the rear seat head rests.
By nplatt
on 04/17/12 15:28 PM (PDT)

there is a disconnect here. the low end torque is what makes the car what it is. I have the DSG tranny and its fantastic. I am so addicted to the torque, it reminds me of my dad's v-8 from the 60's. I have never had any issue with the speakers either. I have the highest model available here in Canada so maybe it is a different supplier. Finally if your struggling with the 6 speed manual you may want someone to help you with shifting. With diesels the shift points are earlier because the redline is lower.