Awesome Car!
By rod_r on
2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)
I have only had this car a week but so far it really has exceeded my expectations. It took a few weeks before one of my local dealers had a manual model but the wait was worth it. I drove one with a DSG transmission and it was fine but with the manual it is just a more engaging car to drive. The torque from this little turbo diesel is amazing. It pulled up a big hill in 4th gear at 1500rpm at 40mph with no problem. Great interior with lots of room. I am getting right at 40mpg with mixed driving. The car is not fast but it feels quick with great handling. It really is a "SPORT"wagen. This car feels like it could cost a lot more than $25,000.
Favorite Features
The entertainment system is really good. You have a nice touch screen with many choices for media. There is an iPod cable in the center console that provides great integration and puts your iPod music on the screen. No playlists though. You also have an SD card slot for media files. It works with AAC files from iTunes as well as mp3s. You have Satellite radio and standard and HD radio as well as Bluetooth streaming. There is also a standard 3.5mm jack on the console. The Bluetooth phone integration with voice recognition works well and was easy to set up. The system sounds good too. It is hard to believe that this is the "standard" system.
Suggested Improvements
To fold the rear seat requires that you remove the headrests. They really are hard to remove without another person. This makes no sense at all. I will be modifying those! There is a 115 volt plug in the back seat at the bottom of the console. It will only charge my MacBook Pro about 5 minutes before shutting off. It is rated at 150 watts and the Apple charger is only supposed to draw 85 watts. I would love to see power seats in this car. Currently only the recline is power. I would enjoy a larger fuel tank. As it is I am getting a little over 500 miles per tank with the 14.5 gallon tank. A 20 gallon tank would be closer to 800. How cool would that be?
By bygrace
on 08/18/12 19:05 PM (PDT)

jt555, Sorry to hear. I can not imagine why your not getting better mpg !! Might take it back to the dealer for a check. It should get much better mpg for sure. Hope you get it resolved & enjoy excellent mpg in the future.

By rod_r
on 07/19/12 05:44 AM (PDT)

A few days after posting this review I noticed that the "Playlist" functionality of my iPod started showing up on the screen. This is a big plus to me as I mostly listen to playlists. I am not sure how to edit the review. I still love the car and am averaging 40mpg in mixed driving. Most of my highway miles are on toll roads with 80mph speed limits.

By jt555
on 08/12/12 18:52 PM (PDT)

i love everything about this car except the gas mileage. i have had it about three weeks. have been driving very conservatively - mostly around los angeles - side streets and i have not been able to get above 23 MPG. VERY frustrating considering everything i have ever heard and read about a TDI engine. Any tips....

By rod_r
on 08/25/12 21:52 PM (PDT)

I have 4700 miles on mine now and the lowest average I have had for a tank was 36.7 and that was all in mostly urban stop and go driving. In my normal mixed driving it always gets over 40. I drove it to Indiana and back last week (1200 miles each way) and got 49.1 and I was driving as fast as possible without getting caught. It is a great road trip car. jt555 I assume that something is very wrong with your car. I never drive for economy. I love the riding the wave of torque from the turbo. Get yours checked. something is not right.