Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

great car
By firstvw

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned my jetta sportwagen TDI for 4 months and am very happy with it. Great combination of handling and fuel economy. I have averaged 40 mpg over the 4000 miles put on the car so far. I love not having to go to the gas station! Good performance--it hauls a$# when I hit the gas! I don't love the exterior design, but it was a reasonable compromise to get the fuel economy and performance.

One month of pure Fahrvergnugen " driving enjoyment"
By bygrace

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

As of today we have owned our 2012 Jetta Sportswagon TDI for one month. After owning large pick ups for most of my driving lifetime; I was skeptical about comfort. But it is not a concern at all. The seats & interior design make for a very comfortable ride; even long distance. My husband is 6'4" & about 230lbs & fits comfortably & says he has plenty of head & leg room. We both love the power of the turbo charged diesel. And the MPG is GREAT!!! We have not gotten less than 45 mpg & that was due to city driving & sitting still in a drive through for over 10 min. Otherwise, it has been getting between 47 & 55 mpg on the Highway. Haven't changed any driving habits either.

Favorite Features

This car has so many great features it is hard to choose just one. Amazing how VW can put so much into their vehicles for the cost. Hard to find another that compares. ( I researched this car for months before purchasing.) If your looking for comfort, the feel of luxury, a fun to drive car & wonderful mpg; you will be impressed with the Jetta Sportswagon TDI. This car is a well hidden little jewel that's not so little....on anything! I must say I do not miss my Pick up one bit & that's a big statement from a true country girl! Take a test drive; you'll be happy you did. I sure was surprised how much I love this Sportswagon.

Suggested Improvements

More color options & availability through the dealers.

Awesome Car!
By rod_r

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have only had this car a week but so far it really has exceeded my expectations. It took a few weeks before one of my local dealers had a manual model but the wait was worth it. I drove one with a DSG transmission and it was fine but with the manual it is just a more engaging car to drive. The torque from this little turbo diesel is amazing. It pulled up a big hill in 4th gear at 1500rpm at 40mph with no problem. Great interior with lots of room. I am getting right at 40mpg with mixed driving. The car is not fast but it feels quick with great handling. It really is a "SPORT"wagen. This car feels like it could cost a lot more than $25,000.

Favorite Features

The entertainment system is really good. You have a nice touch screen with many choices for media. There is an iPod cable in the center console that provides great integration and puts your iPod music on the screen. No playlists though. You also have an SD card slot for media files. It works with AAC files from iTunes as well as mp3s. You have Satellite radio and standard and HD radio as well as Bluetooth streaming. There is also a standard 3.5mm jack on the console. The Bluetooth phone integration with voice recognition works well and was easy to set up. The system sounds good too. It is hard to believe that this is the "standard" system.

Suggested Improvements

To fold the rear seat requires that you remove the headrests. They really are hard to remove without another person. This makes no sense at all. I will be modifying those! There is a 115 volt plug in the back seat at the bottom of the console. It will only charge my MacBook Pro about 5 minutes before shutting off. It is rated at 150 watts and the Apple charger is only supposed to draw 85 watts. I would love to see power seats in this car. Currently only the recline is power. I would enjoy a larger fuel tank. As it is I am getting a little over 500 miles per tank with the 14.5 gallon tank. A 20 gallon tank would be closer to 800. How cool would that be?

STAY AWAY
By

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago. Automatic Transmission. I commute 50 miles to work each way daily. I traded in a reliable and loved subaru for the TDI for fuel economy. BIG MISTAKE. It drives terribly. From the second day of ownership the car bucks terribly the first few miles of driving if it has sat for longer than a 4 hour period of time. Dealership says this is normal. Whiplash is not normal in a brand new car. Also, the fan stays on for extended periods of time after driving. Also told this was normal. Cooling is fine, but an hour for the fan to stay on? I dont buy it. My relationship with VW isnt off to a good start. I have a feeling I will be returning to Subaru, and soon!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the faulty DSG transmission issues. After further research I am learning that there are a lot of people who have bucking and hard shifting when starting out with a cold car. Even if its 80 degrees out. And stop telling people this is normal. Its a faulty tranny, own up to it.

Love this TDi
By kerriet

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased my SportWagen Tdi in February of 2012. I absolutely love this vehicle. It drives like a dream: handling is fantastic, mpg is off the charts (and it is still far from being broken in), creature comforts of the interior are wonderful. I really like the exterior styling. It's a sharp vehicle.

Favorite Features

Tdi engine - it's a diesel sipper. In under 5k miles I am averaging 37.8mpg. This is expected to improve as the engine is broken in. Also, it goes like a bat out of ... great for highway on-ramps. I love the comfortable seating position. I can take a call via the bluetooth that works so well, or switch the Sirius radio station without removing my hands from the wheel.

Suggested Improvements

It is difficult to see the climate control options on the other side of the dial. The MDI cable and the iPhone 4 and 4S are not playing nice, at least not when the bluetooth feature is on.