Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen SE Wagon Consumer Reviews - 1 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

way better milage than expected
By joseph humphrey

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a follow up review. I've owned this car for a somewhat over a month now. I mostly want to report on fuel economy. One of the big knocks on the 2.5L motor is that it is thirsty for it's class. The first tank I calculated I got 24mpg in 70/30 city/highway. Which is the EPA estimate for city. This was driving in full manual mode on the auto and let's say..."spirited" driving. 2nd tank I put in regular drive mode and with same commute & little tamer driving, I got 28. Last tank, with no hypermiling, just no full throttle sprints and driving speed limit I got almost 29mpg. Pretty impressive.

My only complaint is the audio system is pretty lame. It lacks the modern features like bluetooth, etc, though I really don't care. My beef is it sounds a bit harsh in the midrange even at moderate volumes. Oh well, it is a base model. If I gave it a knock on ride comfort, this car has factory upgrade 18" wheels. The low profile tires definitely help with handling, but do increase noise and cabin impact. If you want a cushy ride...stick with higher profile tires. I like the trade off myself.

This might be one of the best 'do it all cars' out there for a very reasonable sum. Looks good, above average interior quality, supurb front seat comfort, sporty handling and fairly quick when pushed. Overall, favorite car I've ever driven, and there's been a few. Accords, BMW3's, Audi A4s among them. Sure some of them were better at some things, but not as good in total.

Don't understand why anyone who needs utility and doesn't go off road would choose an SUV or even worse...IMHO a crossover.

So far no reliability issues in 1K mi. I realize that with German cars you have to be pretty fastidious with following maintenance. They are not 'drive and forget'.