Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

way better milage than expected
By joseph humphrey

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This is a follow up review. I've owned this car for a somewhat over a month now. I mostly want to report on fuel economy. One of the big knocks on the 2.5L motor is that it is thirsty for it's class. The first tank I calculated I got 24mpg in 70/30 city/highway. Which is the EPA estimate for city. This was driving in full manual mode on the auto and let's say..."spirited" driving. 2nd tank I put in regular drive mode and with same commute & little tamer driving, I got 28. Last tank, with no hypermiling, just no full throttle sprints and driving speed limit I got almost 29mpg. Pretty impressive.

My only complaint is the audio system is pretty lame. It lacks the modern features like bluetooth, etc, though I really don't care. My beef is it sounds a bit harsh in the midrange even at moderate volumes. Oh well, it is a base model. If I gave it a knock on ride comfort, this car has factory upgrade 18" wheels. The low profile tires definitely help with handling, but do increase noise and cabin impact. If you want a cushy ride...stick with higher profile tires. I like the trade off myself.

This might be one of the best 'do it all cars' out there for a very reasonable sum. Looks good, above average interior quality, supurb front seat comfort, sporty handling and fairly quick when pushed. Overall, favorite car I've ever driven, and there's been a few. Accords, BMW3's, Audi A4s among them. Sure some of them were better at some things, but not as good in total.

Don't understand why anyone who needs utility and doesn't go off road would choose an SUV or even worse...IMHO a crossover.

So far no reliability issues in 1K mi. I realize that with German cars you have to be pretty fastidious with following maintenance. They are not 'drive and forget'.

poor man's audi
By joseph humphrey

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just picked this up from the dealer. Dunno anything about reliability or milage yet. But this car exceeds my high expectations. In fact I expected so much I bought it without ever driving one. Sounds crazy, but the first time I ever drove one was one the trip home from the dealer. Handling was much better than I expected. The pro review says not sports car like but nimble. Well I used to drive a BMW 325CSi with sport suspension and on a twisty road I tried, this doesn't give up a lot, even with all season tires. Sure a little body roll, but at the expense of comfort. Honestly the roll was less than expected. I thought going in I'd want to upgrade suspension. It does have upgrade 18" wheels. A lot of carping on the net about the 2.5L with the tiptronic tranny, but for an old guy like me it's quite adequate with the tranny in sport mode anyway. I wanted a wagon. I hate SUV's and Crossovers, but I have a lot of stuff to haul for my business. And there's really no other choice. I can't afford BMW, MB or Volvo. Suburb insist on making theirs look like a fake SUV and their interiors are junky looking. The fit, finish and interior quality of the car is first rate. The seats comfort is superb. Buying experience was first rate too. Dealer was actually a pleasure to work with and gave me the first deal if ever felt good about.

VW rep may be tarnished due to the TDI scandal, but they really do produce unique and quality products. I really think is an Audi the working stiff can afford. Now if it only holds up..........

Well after 6 months, not a single problem. While the 2.5L engine is adequate, I do wish VW offered the 2.0 Turbo. However this does have plenty of midrange torque and the mileage is better than expected. If I drive sensible I can get nearly 29mpg in mixed city/hwy. I still can't believe how well it handles., but not one to leave well enough alone, I have ordered VW factory sport springs and Koni Sport shocks. I think the best thing I can say about it, is if it were wrecked or stolen, I'd immediately get another.

If I had to nit pick on one thing, the sound system is not all that great, but it is a base model car.

MPG
By geo02r1

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon SE 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I purchased a 2012 VW sportwagon se 2.5 rather than a Nissan Frontier truck mostly for the MPG.
Having owned a Toyota that had lower EPA MPG, I thought it was a good move. The car's EPA MPG is 23 city/31 Hwy. I expected 25-26 combined.
I'm getting 18-19 driving conservatively. I went to the dealer thinking there was something wrong and was told it's fine. I contacted VW Corp. and was told it's the way I drive.
WARNING VOLKSWAGON MPG IS FALSE !!!!!!
I WISH I NEVER BUY A VOLKSWAGON

The car is fine, drives well (under powered with only 170 hp), handles well and has nice amenities.

Stop lying about the EPA MPG !

Love
By taekwond00m

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon SE PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

First time VW owner and wondering why I waited so long. Previously dubbed as a "subaru girl" now converted after driving this fabulous ride! It's tight handling and peppy engine are amazing. Love the front wheel drive in this northern Minn climate. Great front, side and rear visibility -- especially with the back seats down. Amazingly smooth and quiet ride for a small car. I've owned 3 Subarus, 1 Jeep, and a Honda Civic. This SportWagen is by far my absolute favorite. Love it love it love it. p.s. I am a 5'4" female. Only drawback is the head rest on front seat -- because I'm short, makes me kinda hunch forward. Removed for now while thinking of an alternative. Great financing.

Handling, pep, ride, visibility, comfort. Everything is in the proper reaching distance for someone of my size. Heated seats are a huge bonus in the cold winter months. Can't wait to test this baby in a blizzard -- near home, of course! Hope this is the last new car I ever have to purchase! Beware: if you test drive it, you will be hooked! This little gem literally sells itself!

The only thing I don't like about this ride so far is the lack of synergy between the front seat and the front seat headrest. We took the head rests off because we felt hunched forward -- non ergonomic.