Used 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

Awesome Car!
By rod_r

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have only had this car a week but so far it really has exceeded my expectations. It took a few weeks before one of my local dealers had a manual model but the wait was worth it. I drove one with a DSG transmission and it was fine but with the manual it is just a more engaging car to drive. The torque from this little turbo diesel is amazing. It pulled up a big hill in 4th gear at 1500rpm at 40mph with no problem. Great interior with lots of room. I am getting right at 40mpg with mixed driving. The car is not fast but it feels quick with great handling. It really is a "SPORT"wagen. This car feels like it could cost a lot more than $25,000.

Favorite Features

The entertainment system is really good. You have a nice touch screen with many choices for media. There is an iPod cable in the center console that provides great integration and puts your iPod music on the screen. No playlists though. You also have an SD card slot for media files. It works with AAC files from iTunes as well as mp3s. You have Satellite radio and standard and HD radio as well as Bluetooth streaming. There is also a standard 3.5mm jack on the console. The Bluetooth phone integration with voice recognition works well and was easy to set up. The system sounds good too. It is hard to believe that this is the "standard" system.

Suggested Improvements

To fold the rear seat requires that you remove the headrests. They really are hard to remove without another person. This makes no sense at all. I will be modifying those! There is a 115 volt plug in the back seat at the bottom of the console. It will only charge my MacBook Pro about 5 minutes before shutting off. It is rated at 150 watts and the Apple charger is only supposed to draw 85 watts. I would love to see power seats in this car. Currently only the recline is power. I would enjoy a larger fuel tank. As it is I am getting a little over 500 miles per tank with the 14.5 gallon tank. A 20 gallon tank would be closer to 800. How cool would that be?

So far so great
By screenname420

Bought car, went on 300 mile trip right out the dealer. Awesome time. The whole family loves it and we are already planning the next trip. I got the manual and I got the 86000 mile warrantee so I don't care about anything breaking down. Triple checked that dealer would cover HPFP failure.

Favorite Features

1. Driving it! 2. Space 3. Cargo holders - I love the sticky things. 4. Mileage!

Suggested Improvements

The nose is a bit short for my taste, but this is truly nitpicking. Just hope the car is reliable!

Great Road Car
By teaton1

Bought this new 9 months ago with plans on moving it to Central Europe. This is our highway car. Very comfortable and economical. Love the steering and 6 speed manual transmission. I am not a great diesel driver... I occasionally stall out in first gear. Not quite enough very low end torque. I stalled more so with an older Audi A6 than this VW. I love the brake assist on hills... comes standard even with the stick shift. The radio speakers are really bad. I would never have kept the Sirius radio anyway, but if I were a radio-phile this is not the radio to have. Our Honda Fit (for the city) has a great sound system for a little car. Overall this is an excellent buy.

Favorite Features

Highway comfort and economy. Helpful computer information. Great seats, steering and manual 6-speed tranny.

Suggested Improvements

The headrests are very difficult to remove. The rears are a different mechanism than the fronts. I have to go to the manual each time to do it. When you want the entire cargo space you need to remove the rear seat head rests.