2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:
Perfect balance of performance, ecomony, and practicality!
By bjudd4 on 10/06/12 09:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I took delivery of my '12 JSW TDI in Dec. 2011, and have put over 17k miles on it in less than a year! My other vehicle is a '07 VW GTI and although the TDI of course does not match it's performance, I have to say that as an automotive enthusiast I still very much enjoy driving the TDI with its generous amounts of torque. Driving it as I would drive any normal car (a little lead-footed...) I still consistently see 42mpg without a problem, and 45mpg+ if I am driving economy-minded. Had no prob starting in below zero temps in NY winter. My wife and I recently had a baby, and the car seat fits in the rear without a problem, and there is plenty of cargo room for luggage, stroller, etc.

2nd TDI I own: Spirited Driver!
By monkfarm on 09/09/12 06:11 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

Wonderful car! This wonderful car has it all: great braking, comfortable seats in front, great handling, adequate power, smooth shifting, great fuel economy. This car is fun to drive, it accommodates my leadfoot with great fuel economy (usually 41 with mixed city hwy with air conditioning, wife: 44.) I don't feel bad about cruising the speed I want to drive because I'm not putting that much fuel in it. We have 3 dogs, and with luggage is fairly comfortable for long trips (210 miles to my folks.) The exterior design has grown on me. The back folds down into a smooth platform which the dogs love, and I carry supplies to my country home with ease. I love it!! 10,000 miles on it so far.

Dieses Auto ist groß
By etaggart on 09/05/12 18:13 PM (PDT)

I've had my TDI Sportwagen for about 3 months now. I went from a large SUV (Durango) to this wagon. I LOVE IT. I have owned SAABs in the past and appreciate the european feel to the interior. The Panoramic sunroof is AWESOME. Love the torque and power of the TDI and the DSG transmission is great. The DSG does take a bit to get used to and I can understand why the previous reviewer complained. The DSG "downshifts" when you are coming to a light much like you might in a manual. The "bucking" can be experienced when the engine is cold (1-2 min) and you hover your throttle between giving it fuel and not.. However, once you realize what the deal is you can avoid that situation totally!

great car
By firstvw on 09/04/12 18:05 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon w/Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I have owned my jetta sportwagen TDI for 4 months and am very happy with it. Great combination of handling and fuel economy. I have averaged 40 mpg over the 4000 miles put on the car so far. I love not having to go to the gas station! Good performance--it hauls a$# when I hit the gas! I don't love the exterior design, but it was a reasonable compromise to get the fuel economy and performance.

One month of pure Fahrvergnugen " driving enjoyment"
By bygrace on 08/11/12 22:22 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

As of today we have owned our 2012 Jetta Sportswagon TDI for one month. After owning large pick ups for most of my driving lifetime; I was skeptical about comfort. But it is not a concern at all. The seats & interior design make for a very comfortable ride; even long distance. My husband is 6'4" & about 230lbs & fits comfortably & says he has plenty of head & leg room. We both love the power of the turbo charged diesel. And the MPG is GREAT!!! We have not gotten less than 45 mpg & that was due to city driving & sitting still in a drive through for over 10 min. Otherwise, it has been getting between 47 & 55 mpg on the Highway. Haven't changed any driving habits either.

Awesome Car!
By rod_r on 07/14/12 20:01 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I have only had this car a week but so far it really has exceeded my expectations. It took a few weeks before one of my local dealers had a manual model but the wait was worth it. I drove one with a DSG transmission and it was fine but with the manual it is just a more engaging car to drive. The torque from this little turbo diesel is amazing. It pulled up a big hill in 4th gear at 1500rpm at 40mph with no problem. Great interior with lots of room. I am getting right at 40mpg with mixed driving. The car is not fast but it feels quick with great handling. It really is a "SPORT"wagen. This car feels like it could cost a lot more than $25,000.

STAY AWAY
By on 05/23/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

I purchased this vehicle about a month ago. Automatic Transmission. I commute 50 miles to work each way daily. I traded in a reliable and loved subaru for the TDI for fuel economy. BIG MISTAKE. It drives terribly. From the second day of ownership the car bucks terribly the first few miles of driving if it has sat for longer than a 4 hour period of time. Dealership says this is normal. Whiplash is not normal in a brand new car. Also, the fan stays on for extended periods of time after driving. Also told this was normal. Cooling is fine, but an hour for the fan to stay on? I dont buy it. My relationship with VW isnt off to a good start. I have a feeling I will be returning to Subaru, and soon!

Love this TDi
By kerriet on 04/30/12 08:13 AM (PDT)

I purchased my SportWagen Tdi in February of 2012. I absolutely love this vehicle. It drives like a dream: handling is fantastic, mpg is off the charts (and it is still far from being broken in), creature comforts of the interior are wonderful. I really like the exterior styling. It's a sharp vehicle.

So far so great
By screenname420 on 03/24/12 17:19 PM (PDT)

Bought car, went on 300 mile trip right out the dealer. Awesome time. The whole family loves it and we are already planning the next trip. I got the manual and I got the 86000 mile warrantee so I don't care about anything breaking down. Triple checked that dealer would cover HPFP failure.

Love my new Jetta Sportwagen
By leftcoastwolf on 02/21/12 17:43 PM (PST)

I just bought my second VW TDI Jetta. This car is larger and more refined than my 2003. The handling for the 2012 is first rate. The German engineering that went into this vehicle makes for a fantastic driver's car. The dealership has treated me well and answered all questions. This is the second car I've purchased from this dealership.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel in VA is:

$126 per month*