What a family car should be
By jku72 on
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
We've had our wagon for 1.5 years, and have logged 47K miles, in harsh Maine environments of rough gravel roads, very rough paved roads, salty winter roads, ice, mud, and one cross country and back trip. Excellent in snow, haven't crashed it yet. I've driven it through 12" of snow, plowing a path. The heavy diesel right over the wheels makes it better than a 4x4 on ice, with proper tires. Loaded w/family & gear, at 80, mileage is 38. 70 it's 46. 65 it's 49. 55 it's 51. Everyone likes to drive, or ride in this car. Nothing on the market compares. Buy one.
Favorite Features
The engine. It's why I bought the car. Tons-o-torque, and 50 mpg. The transmission. It actually downshifts when you tell it to, unlike other cars that merely consider your shifting a suggestion. The interior, forces you to be pretentious, and want to wear leather pants and turtle neck sweaters. I don't miss flannel. The radio, it's just awesome. Junked my home stereo, now at parties I just open all the doors and blast away. It's black, but not Johnny Cash black. Black like Sprokket, Eric Hartmann, and Dr. Strangelove. Dude, heated seats = happy wife. Happy wife, happy life. Lots of room for hauling 3 females(& mine) worth of stuff. No more dorky roof boxes for me.
Suggested Improvements
Make the fuel filler big enough to fit fuel pumps, like every other diesel ever produced. Make rightmost climate control dial readable. I can only read it by bending way down and squinting, wish causes me to crash into things, so I just guess and hope for the best. Or, make the wife set it. For roads in Maine, the 55 series 16" tires are terrible. Make a Maine option where you make it so 15 inch rims with more tire sidewall can be used. Ruined three tires and one rim the first year. Biolines and 205-55-16 tires are expensive. I bet they are great in Los Angeles or other places with nice roads. Turbo lag & sudden surge of power chirps the tires un-necessarily unless you're careful