2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: Thumbs up

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Review

By trex1200r on

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was looking for a sporty, roomy vehicle that I could easily haul my dog in. The sportwagen has a large cargo area, and the heigth is easy to negotiate for our aging pup. While shopping around, I convinced myself I had to have a diesel for the torque and the mileage. Performance is good, not great. DSG likes to keep the revs low, so you need some planning and patience for the wave to arrive. Sometimes the wave is there, sometimes you wait. Gas Mileage. Averaging 38mpg over 9K miles. It takes a good 10 miles to get the mileage reading into the 30's, so not sure how it would do if you only take short trips. Probably not good.

TDI Gas mileage Nice looking inside and out Good performance per gallon factor Nice touchscreen audio system Heated seats work very well Lots of Cargo space Hard to tell its a diesel, quiet, no smoke, no warmup time for glow plugs.

Need HID headlights as an option Need foglights as an option DSG downshifts when coasting and braking. Push the gas pedal, count to two. Needs paddle shifters Could use more storage cubbies.
By trex1200r
on 12/09/11 14:13 PM (PST)

Just thought I would amend my post above. I had my sportwagen in for its first 10K service last week, and while it was there they performed a software update for the DSG transmission per some recall. It seems much better now. Initial acceleration lag is gone, and torque wave is just a stab of the peddle away. The downshifting when braking is a lot smoother as well. My overall 4.5 star rating probably remains unchanged, but the performance category went from 3 to 4 stars. Yippee!