TDI a pleasure
By markneumann on
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I bought the car 5 weeks ago and just took it on a 3,000 km trip to the Sierra Nevada mountains and Lake Tahoe. Amazing - this engine and tranny pulls exceedingly well. It climbed up steep grades at 50 km/h in 4th and 5th gears w/a full load. My only complaint was that fuel consumption was much worse than expected. Granted, I had a full car, but I expected - at the least - 35-37 mpg. I was disappointed as I barely managed 32-34 mpg. Not all of the trip was going up the mountains. I went down the same mountains and expected more. So far, the daily commute has been a joy, as the car itself is a total blast to drive (no, I haven't been flooring it just so I could move quickly). So far, so good.
Favorite Features
The seats - amazingly comfortable. The Nav/Stereo system sounds SO much better than the crappy "premium" JBL sound system Toyota put in my 2007 Prius. My god. Night vs day. Toyota should be ashamed. VW, I thought, cheaped out as the Dynaudio system was only available on the Golf (and I wanted the wagon) - but I'm not disappointed in this sound system. I love the built-in DRL, too. A nice safety feature. The DSG is awesome- even going downhill the tranny "found" the right gear and maintained a steady speed regardless. Sweet.
Suggested Improvements
VW's owner manual shows auto-dimming rear-view mirrors - yet we don't get it on the so-called "premium package". VW shows lots of additional storage cubbies in the owner manual - but again, we don't get these either. No rear-view camera is available (and the dealer did "not" want to install it, even though VW claims it's a dealer-installed option). Cloth upholstery is MUCH better in SoCal than the fake leather they put into the car. Give us cloth seats! Otherwise - I love this car. Just love it.