2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: Perfect in all but an A/C way

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Review

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

Perfect in all but an A/C way
By pekingrick on

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I bought my Jetta Sportwagen TDI in May 2011, and now have 99,000 km on it. I've religiously followed the recommendations for the servicing of the car (only 1 oil can be bought at Pep Boys - at 13.00 per Liter!), but have changed the tires to Nitto Motivos (wow! great tires!), and change my air filters myself.

So far - I'm on the original ceramic brake pads. Very cool.

The fuel economy (well, I DID get 47.7 mpg on the Lake Havasu Trip). The handling - spot on! The build-quality (amazingly good). The premium sound system is great (but the SiriusXM cuts out at odd moments for "linking" concerns). In short- this is my first VW -and except for the A/C repair? I've not done a thing to it except normal wear and tear/maintenance stuff! Highly recommended indeed!

The A/C went out last weekend on a trip to Lake Havasu City, AZ. Of course, it was "only" 46 C outside- and of COURSE there was no A/C in the car, except a little teeny tiny bit.....good Lord. I took it to the dealer, who determined that the compressor was blown - at a cost of $1384 to fix....YIKES. VW needs to spend some money on A/C technology. The DRG tranny shouldn't cost $475 to service. Should it? A larger Navigation screen, with more mapping detail, would be awesome. The standard one is pretty darned small. Finally- the car sometimes "bucks" a bit a very low parking lot speeds. It's very easy to modulate and eliminate, but it's something I'd ask VW to review if possible.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review