Overall, Very Happy with the Sportwagen TDI
By sylvania3 on
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
I spend lots of time researching and test driving cars, as I am a Mechanical Engineer. It was thus not without lots of contemplation that I purchased a 2011 Sportwagen TDI to replace my 10 year old trusty Honda CRV with 170K miles. Overall, I am happy. Some things are better than I expected, while there are a few minor things that are areas for improvement. This car comes into it's own on long highway trips, where it seems most efficient, and has a solid controlled feel to it. With all the torque from the diesel, the DSG rarely needs to downshift and pulls upgrade hills at 1700rpm like a tractor (the honda by comparison on same roads downshift and wines at 4000rpm)
Favorite Features
The MPG's have been good, but I had high expectations. Once warmed up and on the interstate, the car does very well and yields about 40mpg. Around town on short trips, I am not doing as well (may be high 20's), especially until it warms up. Granted it has been very cold for the 2 months since I have purchased, and also believe that MPG obverall will improve once broken in more. However, if you just do short urban travel, other new direct inject cars likely could match city mpg. The handeling and general sportiness has been the biggest surprise. The car is easy to toss around on twisty roads and is fun to drive The interior quality is very good. The care seems well screwed togethe
Suggested Improvements
The car takes longer to warm up than my CRV did. The heats seats help, but overall the climate controls are so-so and considering all the other nice features on the car, it should have auto climate control. I have experienced what I consider excessive wind noise above 50mph. It almost seems like a windo is open a crack, but its not. Although the car comes with roof rails, it does not come with cross rails. I purchased factory cross rails (a rip off for $280), and they were very hard to fit on the rails. They do not slide properly and with all the trouble to put them on, I am wondering if I will ever be able to take them off (this may be reducing my mpg's)
By juanchankane
on 03/20/11 07:56 AM (PDT)

Spot on review Syl, I agree entirely except for the wind noise, it may likely be related to the cross rails or else could need a door frame adjustment.