2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: maritime hauler

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Review

S PZEV Wagon (2.5L 5-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

maritime hauler
By nplatt on

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I drive about 10,000 kilometers a month as we are building a house about 1,800 kilometers from where we live. I make about a trip a month down east and my daughter plays a lot of hockey in the Greater Toronto Area. My car has almost 50,000 kms. since I got it late last fall and I feel that I can give a fair and balanced review. Yes, the mileage is great as long as the weather is not too cold, it gets much better in warmer weather. My only gripe is the GPS which conks out after 10 hours of driving- maybe it overheats, I am not sure. The one negative thing that caught me off guard was a tow truck driver who tried to intimidate me which filling up. He said that I was in the truck land-a..hole!

The DSG is great- I know I cannot shift that fast nor get as good mileage with a manual. Like the magazine article said; " troops, its time to get over the fact that a DSG transmission is light years ahead of a 6 speed manual. Porsche knew this from racing and finally it has trickled down to the consumer." I am also very impressed with the engine and all that torque especially on the highway when you have to pass at highway speeds. Just put the DSG in sport mode and sit back and enjoy the smooth and effortless acceleration around the big rigs and those cars with huge trailers. Passing is a breeze.

This car for the money should have HID headlights especially knowing that most of us will keep this car and travel a great amount in it. Also, the GPS is just acceptable and compared to the Garmins and Tom Toms out there is quite a bit behind in technology. Finally, I know its a German thing but the fuel filler should be on the driver's side like most vehicles out there.
By evildad
on 05/14/11 14:26 PM (PDT)

As a long-time Passat owner (I've owned a B3, B4 and now a B5 for 11 years), I have to say that putting the fuel filler on the passenger side is a GREAT feature. Why? I don't have to pull up close to the pumps on the driver's side and chance whacking my door against those huge barricades they put alongside the pumps!