2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Review: Beware the ABS Module failure

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Review

TDI Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo Diesel 6-speed Automated Manual)

Beware the ABS Module failure
By ca_dryheat on

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

July 3, 2014 on I-5 in Los Angeles, the ABS module failed on our 2011 Sportwagen TDI. The module controls the power steering, a/c, brakes, airbags, etc... We get off the freeway, and drop off car at McKenna VW in Cerritos. Problem diagnosed July 5, and I'm told the repair will be $3200. Service rep tells me to call Customer Care. I do this and start a case #. Four days later, I get a call - VW will contribute $700. "And we don't have to do a thing, since you're out of warranty," I am told. The car has 50,000 miles on the odo. 12 July - we finally get a call that the car is ready. $1860 is the final bill. Took VW 5 days to get ABS module from Texas to California.

Favorite Features

Leg room Space Handling Fuel economy Interior

Suggested Improvements

Separate the functions of ABS, traction control, power steering, a/c, airbags, etc... from the ABS module. It's idiotic that all these functions go through this one electronic device. A failure of this part makes the car virtually undrivable. Warn consumers that repairs on this vehicle will be expensive, and that VW Customer Care doesn't care. Warn customers to purchase the extended warranty, as repairs are expensive and will be needed. Warn customers that VW seems unable to transport parts from one part of the country to another any sooner than 5 days. Warn customers that VW does not care if you are stranded by one of their defective vehicles, hundreds of miles from home.
By orangelebaron
on 08/23/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

I think I'll pass on a VW. What good is saving money with great mpg, if you have to spend a ton of money on repairs for things that should not break?