2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel Consumer Reviews 4

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:
Downsized and loving it
By happygardener on 04/02/11 18:06 PM (PDT)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I was reluctant to trade in my highlander limited, but wanted something more economical that would still accommodate a family of 4. The sportwagen diesel fits the bill. I've now driven 3000 miles and am very pleased. Averaging 38 mpg per tank, about 42 mostly highway and a little less with all 4 of us in the car. I haven't changed driving style at all and still get great mileage. The car is zippy, surprisingly quick for highway entrances, and takes corners well. The storage room is exceptional, and my kids (7&9) fit just fine even with my 6'2 husband in the car. My only complaints are that the dash knobs are too small and the car sits a bit too low for a tow hitch for a bike rack.

Simply A Great & Well Designed Car
By jones0602 on 03/03/11 12:42 PM (PST)

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

I bought my 2011 TDI Sportwagen about 5 months ago and without a doubt feel this car was the right decision. The MPG is nice, yes diesel is more expensive, but when you get 40+ MPG with the power of the TDI, it more then makes up for the price of gas. I got the GPS/iPod upgrade which I use everyday. The 2011 VW GPS is 10x better then my old Garmin. I am 6'6" and comfortably fit into the drivers seat. The heated seats are perfect for NE winters, plus this past winter I never had to wait once till the engine heated up before it would turn over and start up. Just a solid and well designed car from top to bottom.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Sportswagen TDI
By yangk on 02/17/11 21:03 PM (PST)

I only had my silver Sportswagen TDi for 2 1/2 wks. I noticed a milky spots around my paint. When I parked it in the garage and the shadow from the sun just beemed in just right. I contacted the dealership rightaway about it and their treatment for my paint problem on my BRAND NEW car is "heat" and "rubbing compound". I requested to talk to a VW Rep but apparently Reps don't talk to customers only the dealership will. The car only has 1300mi and I am ready to trade it in for a Subaru Outback or Toyota Venza due to the fact that the driver and rear driver door rattles over bumps and the paint job is horrible. If I can find this flaw at 1300 mi and ONLY in 2wks, what would it be in 3yr

Overall, Very Happy with the Sportwagen TDI
By sylvania3 on 02/13/11 14:52 PM (PST)

I spend lots of time researching and test driving cars, as I am a Mechanical Engineer. It was thus not without lots of contemplation that I purchased a 2011 Sportwagen TDI to replace my 10 year old trusty Honda CRV with 170K miles. Overall, I am happy. Some things are better than I expected, while there are a few minor things that are areas for improvement. This car comes into it's own on long highway trips, where it seems most efficient, and has a solid controlled feel to it. With all the torque from the diesel, the DSG rarely needs to downshift and pulls upgrade hills at 1700rpm like a tractor (the honda by comparison on same roads downshift and wines at 4000rpm)

Awesome for the money
By jc_ on 02/04/11 21:00 PM (PST)

The MPG is truly spectacular, and the car has the solid ride and handling you'd expect from a VW. If it wasn't for the TDI motor, I probably wouldn't think twice about purchasing a sport wagon like this. I love the interior, and the amenities are superior in this price range. Plenty of cargo room for such a "smallish" ride.

Good so far-first 3000km
By wilsonberg on 02/04/11 06:55 AM (PST)

Happy with the car, mileage has been very good. Adding snow tires for the Canadian winter affected mileage by consuming an extra litre per 100km. The car is assembled in Mexico not Germany so we will see how long term reliabilty works out. You pay a premium for the TDI engine but the car is nicely equipped with heated leather seats, massive sunroof, trip computer, very good stereo. For the price VW should include automatic climate control and full power seats (currently only the driver's side has power for the back of the seat). That is nickel and dime type stuff by VW dub. Due to the great torque available from the TDI engine, this car is more driveable than the my wife's 5cyl gas Golf.

Nice Car
By pwagen on 01/23/11 09:31 AM (PST)

I have had this car just over a month. I am really surprised at how much I like it. I am getting 42MPG per tank. I am not trying to save fuel and I don't baby the car. This includes commuting to work and several trips around town. I drive around 75 to 80 MPH avarage on the turnpike. I have the manual transmisson. The car really has some low end power going through the gears. The seats and interior are very compartable. I have received comments from everyone that has been in the car on the quality of the interior. I went to test drive the Golf TDI and saw this sitting next to it. This car is like mini mercedes! Go test drive this before you buy a Prius or other high MPG car!

amazing
By dardson1 on 01/12/11 20:51 PM (PST)

Although I've only had this car a week I am amazed. I drove several vehicles but fell in love after I drove the Sportswagen TDI. It is extremely quick (the HP numbers seem meaningless with this Turbo Diesel). It is way fun-to-drive and the ride is smooth as "butta". I'm used to truck based and Crossover SUV's (07 Murano last and 3 Tahoes before that). My job changed and I no longer need a full-sized vehicle. The Sportwagen will be perfect if......it holds up well. VW has had a questionable reliability history, but for now I'm very happy. Absolutely LOVE this car and the sound system is tip-top

Love It
By Anonymous on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I love my TDI. I average about 38-41 MPG on a tank of diesel. In highway- only situations I yield about 45 MPG. My all-time record is 49 MPG on a 250 mile round trip. Expect about 560-600 miles out of a tank. But MPG is only half the story with the TDI. It feels a lot quicker than it actually is because of the torque. But that being said, it is no slow poke. Ingear acceleration is great if you shift quickly through the gears, but the engine runs out of steam in the high RPM range. The suspension setup is great, so the TDI is great in the twisty stuff. The only competitor that I can think of is the Audi A3 or Prius. The audis is smaller and more expensive. The Prius is slow and hates corners.

Awesome Value
By CJohnson on 12/03/10 00:00 AM (PST)

I think that this is the best car that I've owned, including other VWs, Mazdas, and Acuras. I don't know how you could do any better at any price. The styling, both interior and exterior is fabulous, and the fit and finish is beyond compare. LOVE the sunroof. The car feels very solid like it would last forever.