2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
By yangk on
2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)
Bought vehicle brand new with 5 mi on the odometer. 1st month owning it, there were paint blemishes on the vehicle so that was taken cared of by the dealership with heat treatment. Vehicle just has over 9,000 miles, its been in the shop 3 times for acceleration problems. The vehicle stutters, hesitates, on acceleration and when it does this, there is a harsh shift to the next gear. VW Dealership has not been able to replicate problem. I always get my diesel fuel from Kwik Trip or Shell depending on my travel routes. VW Dealership has also did a software update since I purchased the vehicle too. So far I have been somewhat disappointed in the TDI for the acceleration problem - VW has no fix
Favorite Features
I like the fact that the vehicle is a Diesel but I only average 38mpg mix hwy and city. Straight HWY driving at 75mph, I get 40mpg. The torque is there for passing, hauling people around.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the stuttering problem on acceleration. There is also a lag on acceleration. I know I have had my foot on the gas pedal for about 3 seconds and got no acceleration then the vehicle just surges out of no where. Something is not right but VW Dealership cannot duplicate the problem. Interior design, not enough cup holders. It's very uncomfortable ride in the backseat. Very tight for 5 adults to ride this little wagon. NO TOWING for sportwagen!?
By starboardytdi
on 01/19/13 09:00 AM (PST)

I own a 2011 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, has 34k miles (bought new). Love the car but having issues.......occasionally step on accelerator and nothing happens. This is very scary in traffic or crossing oncoming traffic. The car is "smoking" more than I expected, wash car and in two-three days it has diesel soot all over the rear. Not getting over 37mpg at anytime. It has been to two different dealers and they have no fix??? It also "lunges" at times and runs rough. Heading to another VW Dealer and have contacted VW America Customer Svc.

By jmorrill
on 06/19/11 15:18 PM (PDT)

I bought a new Jetta TDI in March. Had 275,000 on my 03 Jetta and it was getting too costly to repair, so I jumped into the new sleek model. Had it 5 days and the turbo went out. It spent 11 days at the dealer and received a new turbo. 9000 miles into the vehicle, same thing happens again. No turbo, this time while we were leaving for vacation. So Monday, it's back to the dealer. The dealer has been exceptional. This has got to be a design flaw. I love my car, but this cannot continue. I too feel the acceleration lag and it also shifts hard. My other Jetta was a manual so I thought this was normal. Any thoughts??

By cristiang
on 10/28/11 14:12 PM (PDT)

I got a 99 VW TDI, I got the same problem with the acceleration from 10k to 60k. The problem was with the connector to the board computer. Was very difficult to detect by the dealer. Took 3 yrs and 50k miles. Once I change the connector everything was fine. I got 170k miles on board and still fine.

By yangk
on 02/13/12 22:44 PM (PST)

To date, I had sold the VW Jetta and bought myself a new Toytoa Sienna minivan. This VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI left me me extremely disappointed. I will never look at a VW Diesel again, and I had originally thought about trading this in when the new Passat Wagons came out w/ the diesel.