Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

I will never buy another Volkswagen
By mary jean byrne-maisto

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned the car since 2011. I bought it for the mpg and low emissions.
I had heard about the expense of maintaining a volkswagen because of high repair costs but bought it anyway. Within a year the door hinges started squeaking as if the car were 10 years old. After a year, I periodically notice a diesel fumes smell when I start the car. It comes and goes. When I asked the dealer about it, they didn't understand the reason and said they never found it. Finally, a professor at SUNY Morrisville in the Auto Tech school identified that it may be some type of self cleaning filter. There is no repair for it. It just happens. The road noise can hinder conversation. The car has needed more small things done in a shorter time than any other car I've owned. I've had 2 Subarus and Hondas and Toyotas. The dashboard is an odd mix of basic, old fashioned dials and updated more technologically advanced controls. I didn't mind that at first. I figured that's how they kept costs down. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. But the first time I needed to adjust the heating system while driving, I changed my mind. The icons around the dial for heating and AC are small and not easily visible from the driver's seat. They are located at the bottom right of the control panel under the radio. The defrosters are not sturdy or efficient enough for the winter climate where I live, or even spring and summer foggy, humid rainy weather. Windows stay fogged for a long time, and the edges of the front windshield never fully clear of snow or slush. The back seat windows remain fogged. The heated seats are nice. It is not a great snow car despite excellent snow tires. I have learned to avoid particular hilly streets in the snow. I never had to do that with my other cars. It sits very low to the ground which can make exit and entry awkward and gives little clearance for dirt, mud, snow and gravel. The doors are also very heavy. There isn't much headroom but I'm only 5'7" so I fit. My father at 5' 11" did not fit easily. Driver visibility is poor on the right and left of the front windshield. I've had multiple mechanical problems in addition to the door hinges that I did not experience on other cars at the same ages. The car is a difficult to repair. Frequently small parts cannot be acquired individually but must come as part of an entire assembly which elevates the costs of repairs considerably. Add to all of that the deceptions VW deliberately committed regarding emissions standards and the appeal of the car hits rock bottom for me. I will never buy another volkswagen.

One of the last great wagons
By touareg13

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had my 2011 2.5l Jetta Wagon for about 70k miles and it's been a great, reliable wagon. The size of the car is perfect. You can fit 4 adults and their gear or fold the seat down if you need to haul anything big. I've never run out of room in this car. Its a not performance car but the 5 speed transmission is fun to row through and the 5 cylinder engine has enough power to have some fun on twisty roads. Its also a very practical car for the price - the standard features are great (bluetooth, heated seats), I average about 30 mpg and this little car will handle bad weather with proper tires. My wagon goes with me on many ski and mountain bike trips and its never let me down.

-one of the few wagons where a true manual transmission is available -reliable - some say VW's have reliability issues but mine has been perfect -great car for the money, long list of standard features. -fun to drive - great steering, strong brakes, decent power, slick manual transmission -huge cargo space -for a FWD car its great in the snow with a good set of snow tires.

-If VW made the Jetta wagon in AWD, I'd be the first in line buy one -while the engine has adequate power, more torque would be nice for climbing up hills and highway passing.

An excellent all round car
By nij

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had the car for 3 years now. Used it for pretty much everything ->

Haul cargo ( 500+ miles ), furniture from ikea. With the rear seats folded, i was able to completely assembled computer table in it. Although i wish the car was a little wider.

Commuter car
I use it to commute 30+ miles daily and it is a quiet and smooth ride. the standard seat heaters help in winter.

The car was covered under the factory free maintenance until now, so i haven't had to spend any extra money on it. The car averages 28-32 mpg ( city - highway ) for me. The highway ride is smooth and comfortable. I haven't spent any money on repairs so far and have 45K+ miles on it.

cargo space, mileage, ride quality, Standard Bluetooth, standard seat heaters, safety, value for money.

back seat can be a little cramped for tall people. a higher body would help fit wider stuff into cargo compartment.

5,000 miles, so far so good
By cadrm123

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car this summer and so far have quite enjoyed it.
It accelerates and drives well for a more family friendly car than my Audi convertible.
The seat is comfortable, and I am getting between 30-31 mpg on the car.
I have found that cabin space ample for my trips around town.

Enjoy the panoramic sunroof, as well as the blue tooth feature which works well.

Automatic car lights. It is a pain to have to turn them on and off. Rear passenger windows go down to a weird level. Volkswagen mechanic initially agreed with me that something was wrong with them.

Forget the sedan, try this first
By emajor

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Wagon S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

This wagon is versatile and refined. We've carried furniture, huge Rubbermaids, not possible with a sedan. Tons of cargo room when you need it, drives just like the sedan when you don't.

Handling is responsive, the steering has a nice feel and heft to it, and the ride is comfortable without being too soft or sloppy.

Supportive seats, perfect driving position. Interior is way too nice for a $20K car.

Strong 5 cylinder engine with lots of torque down low.
Gets 29-34 mpg highway.
Nice clutch and shifter.
Test drove the TDI, nice engine, but didn't feel it was worth the additional $5000.

13,000 miles and no problems yet.
As long as it stays reliable, I will have no regrets.

An engaging drive without having to put up with road noise, a cheap interior, or a tinny feel. Looks and feels more expensive than it is. Lots of standard features at a reasonable price. More powerful than Elantra Touring, Matrix, Civic. More cargo capacity than Mazda3, Matrix, Impreza, xB. Nicer interior than all of them.

Engine feels a bit sluggish in first gear if you do not launch aggressively. Base stereo needs work: 8 speakers but sound quality is mediocre (muddy bass, lacks some clarity), volume knob adjusts in big steps so the volume is either too high or too low, fast forward feature for CDs is way too slow. Since doors automatically lock above 10mph, they should automatically unlock once the engine is turned off.