Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

Beware the ABS Module failure
By ca_dryheat

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Diesel TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

July 3, 2014 on I-5 in Los Angeles, the ABS module failed on our 2011 Sportwagen TDI. The module controls the power steering, a/c, brakes, airbags, etc... We get off the freeway, and drop off car at McKenna VW in Cerritos. Problem diagnosed July 5, and I'm told the repair will be $3200. Service rep tells me to call Customer Care. I do this and start a case #. Four days later, I get a call - VW will contribute $700. "And we don't have to do a thing, since you're out of warranty," I am told. The car has 50,000 miles on the odo. 12 July - we finally get a call that the car is ready. $1860 is the final bill. Took VW 5 days to get ABS module from Texas to California.

Leg room Space Handling Fuel economy Interior

Separate the functions of ABS, traction control, power steering, a/c, airbags, etc... from the ABS module. It's idiotic that all these functions go through this one electronic device. A failure of this part makes the car virtually undrivable. Warn consumers that repairs on this vehicle will be expensive, and that VW Customer Care doesn't care. Warn customers to purchase the extended warranty, as repairs are expensive and will be needed. Warn customers that VW seems unable to transport parts from one part of the country to another any sooner than 5 days. Warn customers that VW does not care if you are stranded by one of their defective vehicles, hundreds of miles from home.

Is this a typical VW experience?
By eyebiz

This is my first experience with a VW. While I love to drive it and the gas mileage is great, I have had 3 repairs since my warranty expired. First my hatchback latch broke. At 41,000 miles a glow plug had to be replaced. Lastly, the car quit on me at 49,00 miles. The fuel injection pump failed and there were metal shavings in the fuel line. Apparently there is a technical bulletin for the 2009 model. Thankfully VW of Pasadena paid for the replacement at no cost to me.

Fuel injector #5 replacements and counting
By lsap

All started in the winter at about 58k. Bought care used with 34k. Got it for the gas milage as i drive 100 miles highway/ day. Check engine light came on, took it i , vw said had to replace fuel injector. Less than a month later, was in for 2nd fuel injector replacement. Vw didnt think anything abnormal about 2 going bad. Less that a month later car back in twice because of ANOTHER FUEL INJECTOR, and the key ignition switch (locks click on and off when car pulls to a stop). 2 weeks ago, check engine late on AGaIN, VW international said they sent the dealer a faulty one, and they are replacing on that was already replaced 2 months ago. Guess what happened today, after only driving 600 miles.

WV STILL HAS WORK TO DO
By charliej2

Overall, it's a decent car that gets great fuel mileage, but we've had multiple problems where the 3 year old car has left us stranded. Radio was replaced twice, paint is peeling near the driver's side door, flapper valve failed (warranty was extended on this part), and now we get the Immobilizer Active error where the instrument cluster has failed. It's not a car I would buy again. Not so sure I would buy any VW product again as my sister has had nothing but problems with her two VWs.

Love the fuel mileage - ave between 40 - 50 mpg depending on outside temperature. Have drive in -25 degree weather with no problems starting. Just takes a little longer to warm up.

We've had many cars over the years and at first the Sportwagen appeared to be one of the best before we started having all these problems. This should not be happening to a 3 year old car! I think I'll go back to a Toyota or Subaru.

I'll miss mine forever...
By markap57

I had my 2010 Sportwagen for only 10 months. It was totaled in a recent head-on accident. The car held together remarkably well and we were not hurt. Mine was purchased used in Jan. 2013. We had no problems except for the AC which wasn't cold enough. My car even had navigation and upgraded wheels which I wasn't expecting. I've had a very satisfying ownership experience with this car especially at 41mpg. It was everything I expected and more. I plan to buy another one in a few years. I rather liked having the only one around in my town. The Tornado Red color always drew attention and we received many compliments on it.

All of them

The front seat headrests need more adjustability. Fog lights should be included in such a pricey car.