Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen - Consumer Reviews

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen

View reviews for a specific Jetta SportWagen model:

I will never buy another Volkswagen
By mary jean byrne-maisto

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have owned the car since 2011. I bought it for the mpg and low emissions.
I had heard about the expense of maintaining a volkswagen because of high repair costs but bought it anyway. Within a year the door hinges started squeaking as if the car were 10 years old. After a year, I periodically notice a diesel fumes smell when I start the car. It comes and goes. When I asked the dealer about it, they didn't understand the reason and said they never found it. Finally, a professor at SUNY Morrisville in the Auto Tech school identified that it may be some type of self cleaning filter. There is no repair for it. It just happens. The road noise can hinder conversation. The car has needed more small things done in a shorter time than any other car I've owned. I've had 2 Subarus and Hondas and Toyotas. The dashboard is an odd mix of basic, old fashioned dials and updated more technologically advanced controls. I didn't mind that at first. I figured that's how they kept costs down. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. But the first time I needed to adjust the heating system while driving, I changed my mind. The icons around the dial for heating and AC are small and not easily visible from the driver's seat. They are located at the bottom right of the control panel under the radio. The defrosters are not sturdy or efficient enough for the winter climate where I live, or even spring and summer foggy, humid rainy weather. Windows stay fogged for a long time, and the edges of the front windshield never fully clear of snow or slush. The back seat windows remain fogged. The heated seats are nice. It is not a great snow car despite excellent snow tires. I have learned to avoid particular hilly streets in the snow. I never had to do that with my other cars. It sits very low to the ground which can make exit and entry awkward and gives little clearance for dirt, mud, snow and gravel. The doors are also very heavy. There isn't much headroom but I'm only 5'7" so I fit. My father at 5' 11" did not fit easily. Driver visibility is poor on the right and left of the front windshield. I've had multiple mechanical problems in addition to the door hinges that I did not experience on other cars at the same ages. The car is a difficult to repair. Frequently small parts cannot be acquired individually but must come as part of an entire assembly which elevates the costs of repairs considerably. Add to all of that the deceptions VW deliberately committed regarding emissions standards and the appeal of the car hits rock bottom for me. I will never buy another volkswagen.

One of the last great wagons
By touareg13

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen S PZEV 4dr Wagon (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I've had my 2011 2.5l Jetta Wagon for about 70k miles and it's been a great, reliable wagon. The size of the car is perfect. You can fit 4 adults and their gear or fold the seat down if you need to haul anything big. I've never run out of room in this car. Its a not performance car but the 5 speed transmission is fun to row through and the 5 cylinder engine has enough power to have some fun on twisty roads. Its also a very practical car for the price - the standard features are great (bluetooth, heated seats), I average about 30 mpg and this little car will handle bad weather with proper tires. My wagon goes with me on many ski and mountain bike trips and its never let me down.

-one of the few wagons where a true manual transmission is available -reliable - some say VW's have reliability issues but mine has been perfect -great car for the money, long list of standard features. -fun to drive - great steering, strong brakes, decent power, slick manual transmission -huge cargo space -for a FWD car its great in the snow with a good set of snow tires.

-If VW made the Jetta wagon in AWD, I'd be the first in line buy one -while the engine has adequate power, more torque would be nice for climbing up hills and highway passing.

Beware the ABS Module failure
By ca_dryheat

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

July 3, 2014 on I-5 in Los Angeles, the ABS module failed on our 2011 Sportwagen TDI. The module controls the power steering, a/c, brakes, airbags, etc... We get off the freeway, and drop off car at McKenna VW in Cerritos.

Problem diagnosed July 5, and I'm told the repair will be $3200. Service rep tells me to call Customer Care. I do this and start a case #. Four days later, I get a call - VW will contribute $700. "And we don't have to do a thing, since you're out of warranty," I am told. The car has 50,000 miles on the odo.

12 July - we finally get a call that the car is ready. $1860 is the final bill.

Took VW 5 days to get ABS module from Texas to California.

Leg room Space Handling Fuel economy Interior

Separate the functions of ABS, traction control, power steering, a/c, airbags, etc... from the ABS module. It's idiotic that all these functions go through this one electronic device. A failure of this part makes the car virtually undrivable. Warn consumers that repairs on this vehicle will be expensive, and that VW Customer Care doesn't care. Warn customers to purchase the extended warranty, as repairs are expensive and will be needed. Warn customers that VW seems unable to transport parts from one part of the country to another any sooner than 5 days. Warn customers that VW does not care if you are stranded by one of their defective vehicles, hundreds of miles from home.

Is this a typical VW experience?
By eyebiz

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

This is my first experience with a VW.
While I love to drive it and the gas mileage is great, I
have had 3 repairs since my warranty expired. First my hatchback latch broke. At 41,000 miles a glow plug had to be replaced. Lastly, the car quit on me at 49,00 miles. The fuel injection pump failed and there were metal shavings in the fuel line. Apparently there is a technical bulletin for the 2009 model. Thankfully VW of Pasadena paid for the replacement at no cost to me.

Fuel injector #5 replacements and counting
By lsap

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

All started in the winter at about 58k. Bought care used with 34k. Got it for the gas milage as i drive 100 miles highway/ day. Check engine light came on, took it i , vw said had to replace fuel injector. Less than a month later, was in for 2nd fuel injector replacement. Vw didnt think anything abnormal about 2 going bad. Less that a month later car back in twice because of ANOTHER FUEL INJECTOR, and the key ignition switch (locks click on and off when car pulls to a stop). 2 weeks ago, check engine late on AGaIN, VW international said they sent the dealer a faulty one, and they are replacing on that was already replaced 2 months ago. Guess what happened today, after only driving 600 miles.