Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta Hybrid model:

Disappointed
By Kate

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

I bought the car in 2013. I love VW's. Thought the hybrid would be great economical car but turns out to be nothing but trouble. Year 2 it needed a new engine and year 3 a transmission. Got the extended warranty thank goodness. However a rental is not covered. First time I got a loaner and this time needed to get a rental. I'm curious if any other owners had the same issues or is mine a fluke?

Car randomly clunks and looses power. Odd electric
By Rich

The Good:
The car has a great feel and has lots of room. It also has power for passing but I try to drive efficiently.

The Bad:
1. Often, the car looses power and shutters violently. I have read that this occurs when switching between electric and engine power.
2. Weird electrical issues. Sometimes, the fan (while turned off) will turn itself on full blast. Also, this can occur if turning sharply or sometimes from using the brake. Also, under the same conditions, the radio switches stations. It might be that the radio looses power briefly. Of course the dealer cannot replicate any of the above issues and there are no alarm codes saved in the car's CPU. If anyone has ever gotten to the root of these issues, please post it.
3. For the $40k range, the mpg should be better. Overall mpg is in low to mid 30s, sometimes around 37 for a while but it's easy to loose that average.
4. The fan and a/c don't make it to the back seats. There may be vents for the back seats but they have no noticeable effect.

Problems Galore
By CP

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

I've had this car for 2 years and leased it new from the dealer. It has had problems since day 1. The brakes constantly squeak and South Coast VW in Santa Ana has said it due to the material they use to manufacture the brakes coupled with brake dust. That plain and simple "it' something you have to live with. There is nothing they can do. Also have experienced what feels like the car is slipping gears when I accelerate or decelerate. This happens on a cold start and in stop and go traffic usually in lower gears. It's been recalled for several issues including NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V568000 for the gearbox. Safety Recall 69L2 for a Steering Wheel Clock Spring.

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!
By Carissa

The car doesn't make the gas mileage it promises. I've tried everything to make it work. I bought the car for the fuel economy. Now my car has been in the shop for a month (third time I bring in for same problem) due to a jerking feeling that happens randomly as it switches from electric to gas. I've also had issues with the car randomly saying key not in range. It was in the shop at least three times for that. Then I brought it in for the sun roof not closing. I've had many cars with sunroofs and never had to have them greased and the lines blown out. The car is not worth it. Don't do it!! I'm very disappointed and dissatisfied. Not to mention it does not hold its value at all!! I checked it's Kelly blue book value and the car is upside down.

Don't Understand the 4/5 Star Reviews
By golfocd

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

I waited a long time to write this review because I wanted it to be good. This is my commuter car and I have put 42k miles on it in a year and a half. Right after warranty expired, things started breaking. You have heard about VW "Electrical Problems", this is TRUE. Do not buy a VW until they get this cleared up. Also sometimes, when it shifts from electric to gas, the entire car shakes and you almost feel like the engine is going to fall out of the car. It's just an average car, fuel mileage for a hybrid is "ok." I've contemplated just asking if I can return the car. For 27k, I really expect a lot more.