Used 2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta Hybrid model:

Don't Understand the 4/5 Star Reviews
By golfocd

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan SEL 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

I waited a long time to write this review because I wanted it to be good. This is my commuter car and I have put 42k miles on it in a year and a half. Right after warranty expired, things started breaking. You have heard about VW "Electrical Problems", this is TRUE. Do not buy a VW until they get this cleared up. Also sometimes, when it shifts from electric to gas, the entire car shakes and you almost feel like the engine is going to fall out of the car. It's just an average car, fuel mileage for a hybrid is "ok." I've contemplated just asking if I can return the car. For 27k, I really expect a lot more.

Favorite Features

Thank God I bought the extended warranty. Best looking hybrid. Lots of features for just the SEL. Love the auto up/down on all windows. Can unlock/lock door with fob in pocket.

Suggested Improvements

Return to the blue dashboard lights. Fix the bluetooth, nobody can hear me over 50mph. Inside ride is super noisy. Electrical problems galore. Let radio still play until doors open. I can't unlock doors while fueling?? Steering wheel controls are dead if you turn off car but are still sitting there listening to radio or on phone. Upgrade charger in glove box to lightning adapter. Make shifting from electric to gas smoother.

a new kind of vehicle
By may22

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan SEL Premium 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

brought my 2009 jetta into the dealer to resolve a problem , and while waiting browsed the show room and met a used dealer jetta hybrid on display , went for a demo drive and bought the demo 2013 jetta hybrid SEL . although the 2009 jetta is a great car to drive with plenty of torque , the hybrid is quieter , smother with a bunch of bells and whistles . and drives like a cloud , compared to the tdi jetta , and gets 49 -50 MPG. average for a month worth of driving averaged 47 MPG. although having to use premium gasoline (that is cheaper than diesel) the MPG is a little better than the TDI . of all the vehicles I have had over the many years the TDI was the most fun to drive. hybrid +

Favorite Features

quiet , loads of torque , back up camera , blue tooth connective to phone , rear legroom , engine turn off when stopped , great economy ,

Suggested Improvements

the brakes takes a bit of learning curve , but once accustom to ok .

First Year with the Hybrid Jetta
By geoff_ct

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 7AM)

I've driven my 2013 Hybrid Jetta for a full year now and while I like the car it's worth sharing my experience. First, I've had some quality issues that required pretty major dealer service. The AC did not work at all and required 3 days in the dealership to re-program. Next the climate sync and off did not work and required that the climate module be replaced. I had to return to the dealer to have the AC turned on again after the climate control module was replaced. Most recently a vacuum pump failed and the check hybrid and check engine lights went on. I was averaging 42.7 mpg but lately it's down to 37.5. I think the change is due to my reduced efforts at driving economically.

Favorite Features

The sound quality and LCD are great. The drive quaility is pretty good and the trim level has European feel and look... better than Altimas I've rented.

Suggested Improvements

The car is still a bit too small for me. I'm not tall at 5'11 but I struggle a bit too much getting in and out. It is noticably roomier up front in the Altima.

Perfect...Except "Where's the 48MPG"...???
By kksdad

Our Jetta Hybrid will be a year old next month, my wife's the primary driver and she loves it, but, I LOVE it more, and enjoy driving it so much whenever she "lets me"...!!! don't be fooled by the fact this is a "hybrid", VW has "done it right" with great handling, performance and fuel economy (that cold be BETTER..more details below...) for a car that we are happy to own and have NO regrets in buying. Our 16 yo daughter "can't wait" to get her hands on it when she starts to drive..."in her dreams"....!!!

Favorite Features

I was so impressed, if not surprised, by the great acceleration our Jetta Hybird has, combined with excellent handling; praise you wouldn't normally expect given to any hybrid in this price range. Matched up with the 7-sp transmission, this car gets you were you need to go, and gets you there, as fast and quickly as you need it to....enough said...!!!

Suggested Improvements

now, if only it got the excellent gas milage that it advertises...!!! we know it could be OUR fault, with our different driving styles, BUT, on our 800+ mile round trip to Disneyland and back this summer, we barely averaged 40mpg...well below what they advertised and what we might have expected. disappointed, YES, but not enough to regret our purchase, all the "pluses" way out weight this one "minus"....!!!

Exceeding expectations
By drm14

As a current TDI owner I've enjoyed great performance and economy. I was skeptical of the hybrid, but I have been surprised to be getting better than EPA estimates for mpg, usually mid 40s to low 50s. The car does not need to be driven slow, but you need to maximize the time the car is driving under battery power or sailing. The power meter helps a lot with this. Aggressive driving will lower mpg considerably. The road feel is great and the DSG is very smooth. The 1.4L TSI is very torquey and the car feels quick. I have the SEL which is nicely equipped. I think the hybrids compliment the TDIs nicely. The hybrid is ideal for those driving around town and on crowded highways.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, road feel, comfort, peppy, roomy