What car were the Edmunds people driving???
By peteydrives on
2013 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Autobahn PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
I have no idea what car the people at Edmunds were driving, but they are either insane or on the take. I have had my GLI for about 30 months, and I absolutely love it, and my only complaints are about some missing features (which are on the new cars, except for rain sensing wipers). Edmunds suggests that you consider other cars. Really? What, pray tell, can you buy LOADED for under 30K, that feels like a tight German sedan with a MANUAL tranny? The answer is NOTHING. For perspective, here are the cars in my past 1985 GTI, 1990 Corrado, BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3, 1994 Porsche 911 Carrera and a sprinkling of SUV's. I sold my 911 because, frankly, the Audi was just more fun to drive and less
Favorite Features
stressful. (yes, I know, not nearly as pretty). The GLI has the SAME engine, and and SAME gearbox, and feels pretty much the same, EXCEPT that it makes wonderful noises. It sounds so cool when you floor it. It may not be as blindingly fast as some of the other cars competing with it, but the power band is so perfectly positioned that the car always responds instantly. Freeway ramps? Forget it - the car is on fire whenever you need it to be. It handles like a champ and feels NOTHING like the lower-trim Jetta which has a completely different rear end. Is it worth the extra money? Yes, its a completely and totally different car, and I have not even driven a new one with the extra ten horses.
Suggested Improvements
My only complaints about the car is that I wish that it came in AWD - but if they did that, there would be no reason to ever buy an A4. And on top of everything else, since I have bought this car I have seen FOUR of them. (I live in the most populous state in Union - NJ). This is a huge sleeper of a car, and Edmunds is dead wrong. Its practical, handles amazingly well, is a steal at 29K, has tons of space, , and to top it off its very rare. There are cars that do things better as another reviewer said, but all together, this car has NO competition. There is no other car to consider if you are looking at this. There is nothing that competes with it, if you want a german car with a manual.