2013 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Excellent All-Around Vehicle

2013 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

Excellent All-Around Vehicle
By depassos on

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car does everything well. Interior and exterior fit and finish are excellent. The car has plenty of power and delivers it uniformly with almost no turbo lag. The gearbox shifts easily and quickly and clutch update is very smooth. Handling is precise with just a bit of understeer which can be corrected with a little extra gas. With 18" wheels, the ride is firm but not punishing. I might consider switching to 17" wheels when it's time for new tires. Fuel economy matches the EPA estimate around town and it's easy to exceed the 31 MPG rating on the highway. It's a pleasure to drive this car anywhere under any conditions.

The interior is functional and classic; not too busy or fussy. All controls work well. I've used the nav system once and it was fine. I do not use a phone or media player in this car. The partial-leather seats are firm, supportive, and well-contoured. Heating and A/C are powerful. I especially like the large windows and excellent visibility. This 4-door model has good back seat space and the hatchback is practical for many types of loads. The moonroof is a great feature.

I might like a more compliant suspension. There is also a bit of wind noise around the windshield at highway speeds. It would also be good to disable the chirp that sounds when the car is locked with the key fob. This is unnecessary and annoying.