Early Impressions
By rogueman43 on
2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
I've had my GTI for about 2 weeks now, and overall, I'm very impressed. Plenty of power, good gas mileage, firm (but not punishing ride). It feels very solid and well put together. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Just took it on an 800 mile trip, and it was a joy to drive. I kind of wish I had gotten the manual, but with a long commute to work the DSG made more sense. It shifts very quickly, and I've only noticed a very slight delay at launch. Nothing major, as I've read on some other reviews. The GPS graphics are a little cheesy, and the map data is very outdated, despite VW telling me I have the latest version in it. But it's easy to use and pretty quick with calculations.
Favorite Features
Overall fit and finish is top notch. Seats are great. Very little noticeable turbo lag. Gas mileage is right where it should be, if not a tad better on the highway. DSG take a little getting used to, but so far I like it. Paddle shifters are a nice touch if you want to take control.
Suggested Improvements
I know they have limited the models for the 2014MY, with the 2015 just around the corner. So maybe some of my minor gripes are a function of that. IMO, a car at a $31k price point should have a power driver seat, auto dim mirror, back up camera and keyless entry/start. Bluetooth audio functions are somewhat limited. You gain more functionality using the hardwire in the center console. Speaking of which, the center console is tiny. I'm guessing the 2015 will address some of these issues.