2013 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Excellent All-Around Vehicle
By depassos on 12/15/13 13:24 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car does everything well. Interior and exterior fit and finish are excellent. The car has plenty of power and delivers it uniformly with almost no turbo lag. The gearbox shifts easily and quickly and clutch update is very smooth. Handling is precise with just a bit of understeer which can be corrected with a little extra gas. With 18" wheels, the ride is firm but not punishing. I might consider switching to 17" wheels when it's time for new tires. Fuel economy matches the EPA estimate around town and it's easy to exceed the 31 MPG rating on the highway. It's a pleasure to drive this car anywhere under any conditions.

(Was... Not so) Happy, Happy, Happy - update
By c_j_l on 12/13/13 19:40 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Update to my earlier review: The issue turned out to be a faulty fuel pump and pressure regulator. The dealer removed and replaced both. I have to say that both the dealer and VW corporate handled this very well. The "zone administrator" was significantly less helpful - so be aware. VW Corporate extended the terms of the warranty on my vehicle (full factory not aftermarket warranty, by my VIN) to 4yrs 48K miles. VW does stand behind their product! Since then over 8K trouble free miles in ~10 weeks. Very happy, happy, happy now!

Best All-Around Car Ever
By dickytom on 10/30/13 07:47 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my base model manual GTI in April 2013 to use for work. I drive all over the state of Texas visiting clients for my job and I have never been disappointed with this car. Equally comfortable on the highway or in town. Fast, excellent and communicative handling and brakes, great mileage, and big enough to carry all my work stuff. I call on all types of automotive repair shops and parts suppliers and get a compliment on the car at least once a day no matter if they work on Chevys or Mercedes. I went with United Gray to make it less conspicuous and have only gotten one ticket in the first 17,000 miles. Love the car but am considering trading up to a Golf R when I hit 50K.

Not so happy, happy, happy
By c_j_l on 08/17/13 19:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Purchased brand new, great deal on price at $1050 under invoice. No cost tint and other extras. Sales process excellent. But am very disappointed. Took car out for first drive still using the "free" gas provided at delivery. After driving just over 100 miles out town in southern Arizona heat, the car stalled. Happened five times. Engine malfunction light came on steady amber. Four times the engine stalled in stop and go traffic. One time it turned itself off on the highway at 55mph! Car has 242 original miles on it. Got it back to the dealer where they are checking it out. Have to say that I do not trust this new car at all. So far, the dealer has been very responsive, will provide updates!

A Near Perfect Compromise
By basel1120 on 06/30/13 21:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Time came to replace a much loved Mazda RX8 with a vehicle my wife could be induced to drive in place of our SUV. The RX8 was a delightful sports car but 17-19mpg around town and 20-22 mpg on the highway was no better than the SUV. And though "do-able" for two adults, an eight year old kid and big dog, it was hardly convenient. And for traffic a six speed manual could be torture (my wife says.) Considered a MINI and a TSX SportWagon but the MINI was too small (with 2 doors) and the TSX too long for the garage space. The GTI is perfect. Fun to drive. The DSG can match a very good MT. Solid, quiet, fast (and quick). For all but ski trips, it nearly equals the convenience of our Sorento.

Fun Driving and Simplicity
By markvw on 05/20/13 09:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I struggled with the decision of which car I would be buying. I wanting something safe, practical (for my soon to be growing family) and fun to drive. The GTI has exceeded all of my expectations. I decided to purchase the DSG Autobahn model and it is stunning. It is a smooth drive and has just enough "get-up" for me to navigate around Houston drivers. My two golden retrievers fit in the back with the seats laid down

Only car I've bought two of back/back
By b211 on 02/02/13 18:41 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

With over 2 dozen cars in my personal history, the 4-door GTI is the only one I've bought two of in a row. I usually like to "try the field", but found my level of perfection with GTI. Bought a CPO 07' in 10', and had no hesitation with replacing it with a top-of-the-line Autobahn model in 2013. $30k does put you in a different altitude for car choices, but a 4-door GTI is unique and perfect. Fits 4 adults, fun, useful, and respected by those who are higher up the food chain. I get several compliments from BMW and Porsche owners on mine. The DSG transmission really "makes the car". Sure, manual is probably best for the purist. But the DSG is simply fantastic.

Great Car for under $25k
By cleaver on 02/01/13 07:13 AM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Had my 4-door GTI for 2 months & about 2k miles. What really puts this car over the edge are the little things that make you realize the designers put extra thought into the car: the front doors have three different stops, allowing you to open them at up to a 90 degree angle; the foot-wells are lit at night; the ambient lighting around the center console at night; there is fabric lining the cubbys in the doors and the glovebox; the red stitching throughout the cabin. In many cars, these extra touches aren't there and you don't miss them. But this car was designed for driving pleasure by car people, not by the bean counters. At around $25k, this car is a bargain.

2nd Mark VI, 3rd GTI
By shadrach2 on 11/10/12 13:45 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Had a Mark I for 12 years, base Mark VI for 3 and now this one. Switched from manual to auto and 2 door to four. Great car. Came from a string of BMWs (Z3, Z4, 3 series) and honestly prefer GTI. Especially in Autobahn form. Very Germanic. Solid, well crafted, highly competent. Excellent fuel mileage and very good performance. It's not a rocket and that's fine with me. I love the silence of the cockpit, the Dynaudio sound is great and the telematics work very well. I'm honestly surprised I like the DSG as much as I do, having been in a manual for 35 years. But it truly is a lot of fun, and when in bad traffic, great to have.

Thunder Bunny
By judge67 on 11/02/12 15:37 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Simply amazing car... the 2.0 Turbo is quick. It is strong all through the rev range, very little turbo lag. I drive a considerable distance on the interstate, and it revs high at 75-80 mph (turning over 3000 rpm). As such, I have to work to get 30 mpg out of it, although at 60 it gets mid-30's easy. It has an Audi-grade interior and fit/finish, love the plaid seats and they are very comfortable (and heated!). The gauges light up white/grey/red and match the upholstory well. This is the only car on the planet that I prefer the automatic over a stick; the DSG is brilliant! My car also has the Pirelli tires as opposed to the Dunlops. The GTI is a ball to drive, but civilized, too.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen GTI in NJ is:

$258 per month*