2013 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Nightmare since Day 1
By jkaw44 on 10/13/14 12:08 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased my 2014 GTI in February of 2014 and it has been nothing but problems since day 1. My heater did not work properly and my front tire was losing air about every 5 days from the day I purchased it. To make things worse the dealer wanted me to pay to fix so I had to contact customer care. They eventually did pay to have these fix but I have now had 3 more problems since, including having to put in a new water pump twice. I am tired of having to take my car into the dealer every month and this seems ridiculous to me for a car that is brand new. The reliability of this car is very poor and its sad that Volkswagen does not stand behind their vehicles. Customer service has been terrible.

Great design, suprisingly not as well made
By jcfarnham on 07/14/14 11:29 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've had my 2013 GTI for nearly one year. Love driving the car, performance, economy, styling, are all excellent. My car went in for a 10K Service at the Dealership and came away with a clean bill of health. Then 6 weeks later, the coolant light came on. Dealership diagnosed as a fault with a new water pump part on 2013 models. Significant work removing and reinstalling engine bay parts to repair. While it was at dealership, they identified an additional fault - apparently through engine diagnostics - and it required a replacement intake manifold. More engine bay parts removed and reinstalled. I am now very concerned about the long-term reliability proposition for this vehicle.

'13 GTI 15,000 Miles later.
By sinna46 on 05/20/14 09:41 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After a year and a half of driving my 2013 GTI I have to say, Great Car! This is our road trip car, so it is used primarily for highway cruising and long days of driving. It is fast, fun and frugal. What more could you ask for?

Early Impressions
By rogueman43 on 04/23/14 12:44 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've had my GTI for about 2 weeks now, and overall, I'm very impressed. Plenty of power, good gas mileage, firm (but not punishing ride). It feels very solid and well put together. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Just took it on an 800 mile trip, and it was a joy to drive. I kind of wish I had gotten the manual, but with a long commute to work the DSG made more sense. It shifts very quickly, and I've only noticed a very slight delay at launch. Nothing major, as I've read on some other reviews. The GPS graphics are a little cheesy, and the map data is very outdated, despite VW telling me I have the latest version in it. But it's easy to use and pretty quick with calculations.

Excellent All-Around Vehicle
By depassos on 12/15/13 13:24 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car does everything well. Interior and exterior fit and finish are excellent. The car has plenty of power and delivers it uniformly with almost no turbo lag. The gearbox shifts easily and quickly and clutch update is very smooth. Handling is precise with just a bit of understeer which can be corrected with a little extra gas. With 18" wheels, the ride is firm but not punishing. I might consider switching to 17" wheels when it's time for new tires. Fuel economy matches the EPA estimate around town and it's easy to exceed the 31 MPG rating on the highway. It's a pleasure to drive this car anywhere under any conditions.

(Was... Not so) Happy, Happy, Happy - update
By c_j_l on 12/13/13 19:40 PM (PST)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Update to my earlier review: The issue turned out to be a faulty fuel pump and pressure regulator. The dealer removed and replaced both. I have to say that both the dealer and VW corporate handled this very well. The "zone administrator" was significantly less helpful - so be aware. VW Corporate extended the terms of the warranty on my vehicle (full factory not aftermarket warranty, by my VIN) to 4yrs 48K miles. VW does stand behind their product! Since then over 8K trouble free miles in ~10 weeks. Very happy, happy, happy now!

Best All-Around Car Ever
By dickytom on 10/30/13 07:47 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought my base model manual GTI in April 2013 to use for work. I drive all over the state of Texas visiting clients for my job and I have never been disappointed with this car. Equally comfortable on the highway or in town. Fast, excellent and communicative handling and brakes, great mileage, and big enough to carry all my work stuff. I call on all types of automotive repair shops and parts suppliers and get a compliment on the car at least once a day no matter if they work on Chevys or Mercedes. I went with United Gray to make it less conspicuous and have only gotten one ticket in the first 17,000 miles. Love the car but am considering trading up to a Golf R when I hit 50K.

Not so happy, happy, happy
By c_j_l on 08/17/13 19:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Purchased brand new, great deal on price at $1050 under invoice. No cost tint and other extras. Sales process excellent. But am very disappointed. Took car out for first drive still using the "free" gas provided at delivery. After driving just over 100 miles out town in southern Arizona heat, the car stalled. Happened five times. Engine malfunction light came on steady amber. Four times the engine stalled in stop and go traffic. One time it turned itself off on the highway at 55mph! Car has 242 original miles on it. Got it back to the dealer where they are checking it out. Have to say that I do not trust this new car at all. So far, the dealer has been very responsive, will provide updates!

A Near Perfect Compromise
By basel1120 on 06/30/13 21:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Time came to replace a much loved Mazda RX8 with a vehicle my wife could be induced to drive in place of our SUV. The RX8 was a delightful sports car but 17-19mpg around town and 20-22 mpg on the highway was no better than the SUV. And though "do-able" for two adults, an eight year old kid and big dog, it was hardly convenient. And for traffic a six speed manual could be torture (my wife says.) Considered a MINI and a TSX SportWagon but the MINI was too small (with 2 doors) and the TSX too long for the garage space. The GTI is perfect. Fun to drive. The DSG can match a very good MT. Solid, quiet, fast (and quick). For all but ski trips, it nearly equals the convenience of our Sorento.

Fun Driving and Simplicity
By markvw on 05/20/13 09:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I struggled with the decision of which car I would be buying. I wanting something safe, practical (for my soon to be growing family) and fun to drive. The GTI has exceeded all of my expectations. I decided to purchase the DSG Autobahn model and it is stunning. It is a smooth drive and has just enough "get-up" for me to navigate around Houston drivers. My two golden retrievers fit in the back with the seats laid down

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Volkswagen GTI in VA is:

$140 per month*