Used 2013 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Volkswagen Gti - Consumer Reviews

2013 Volkswagen GTI

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

2013 VW GTI Autobahn - 4DR
By nuttnhoney

2013 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought this car because it is sporty, has nice styling and has nice, quick, responsive performance. My previous car was a 2003 Nissan 350z. I really like the handling, design, power and looks out of the box. I also added a software upgrade from the dealer that boosted my HP considerably making it even quicker. The car has been on 3 5k road trips and for the most part performed well. One thing I like about it on road trips is that it has nice performance but is not flashy...I drive into diverse areas and the last thing I want to do is draw attention that you would get with an Audi, MB, BMW, etc Beware of signature water pump and intake manifold issues with the 2.0 liter engine.

Favorite Features

The NAV device works well, stereo is outstanding, leather interior very comfortable. Speed and power is great and I can pass when I need to easily. I would recommend this car highly if you don't mind reliability and repair risk. If you do buy it...definitely go with an extended warranty because repairs are costly.

Suggested Improvements

The tires that came with the car were pretty bad. very little grip and they only lasted for 30k miles. Slipped alot in snow and rain. Tire pressure system was constantly going off not due to puncture but rather pressure being lost but who knows how. Switched to Continental DSW tires which are excellent. After only 40k miles I have had to have the entire intake manifold assembly replaced and also the water pump. A warning light comes on concerning the headlights but that is intermittent and goes away with a shut down / start up. Overall this tells me the build quality is poor and I'm starting to not trust the car. Japanese cars seem much more hands off and reliable.

Nightmare since Day 1
By jkaw44

2013 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I leased my 2014 GTI in February of 2014 and it has been nothing but problems since day 1. My heater did not work properly and my front tire was losing air about every 5 days from the day I purchased it. To make things worse the dealer wanted me to pay to fix so I had to contact customer care. They eventually did pay to have these fix but I have now had 3 more problems since, including having to put in a new water pump twice. I am tired of having to take my car into the dealer every month and this seems ridiculous to me for a car that is brand new. The reliability of this car is very poor and its sad that Volkswagen does not stand behind their vehicles. Customer service has been terrible.

Favorite Features

Anything that doesnt brake.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your cars and improved customer service would be nice. I have gone back in orth with Volkswagen customer care for 7 months now it has been nothing short of horrible. As a first time Volkswagen owner I can not believe this is how they would treat a new customer who just switched to the Volkswagen brand. I would never reccomend them to anyone after the way Ive been treated and would never purchase another Volkswagen. They need to start offering solutions instead of the same appologies over and over again.

Great design, suprisingly not as well made
By jcfarnham

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've had my 2013 GTI for nearly one year. Love driving the car, performance, economy, styling, are all excellent. My car went in for a 10K Service at the Dealership and came away with a clean bill of health. Then 6 weeks later, the coolant light came on. Dealership diagnosed as a fault with a new water pump part on 2013 models. Significant work removing and reinstalling engine bay parts to repair. While it was at dealership, they identified an additional fault - apparently through engine diagnostics - and it required a replacement intake manifold. More engine bay parts removed and reinstalled. I am now very concerned about the long-term reliability proposition for this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Interior design is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Make it German reliable. No excuses.

'13 GTI 15,000 Miles later.
By sinna46

2013 Volkswagen GTI 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After a year and a half of driving my 2013 GTI I have to say, Great Car! This is our road trip car, so it is used primarily for highway cruising and long days of driving. It is fast, fun and frugal. What more could you ask for?

Favorite Features

Great power and smooth acceleration. Firm, but comfortable ride. Wonderful seats and comfortable interior, I am 6' 2" and have plenty of room. I have averaged 31 MPG over the first 15,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I have had is needing to replace 2 tires. I think 17 inch wheels might be better for me, the 18's just don't have enough side wall for the roads I seem to drive on.

Early Impressions
By rogueman43

2013 Volkswagen GTI Driver's Edition 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've had my GTI for about 2 weeks now, and overall, I'm very impressed. Plenty of power, good gas mileage, firm (but not punishing ride). It feels very solid and well put together. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Just took it on an 800 mile trip, and it was a joy to drive. I kind of wish I had gotten the manual, but with a long commute to work the DSG made more sense. It shifts very quickly, and I've only noticed a very slight delay at launch. Nothing major, as I've read on some other reviews. The GPS graphics are a little cheesy, and the map data is very outdated, despite VW telling me I have the latest version in it. But it's easy to use and pretty quick with calculations.

Favorite Features

Overall fit and finish is top notch. Seats are great. Very little noticeable turbo lag. Gas mileage is right where it should be, if not a tad better on the highway. DSG take a little getting used to, but so far I like it. Paddle shifters are a nice touch if you want to take control.

Suggested Improvements

I know they have limited the models for the 2014MY, with the 2015 just around the corner. So maybe some of my minor gripes are a function of that. IMO, a car at a $31k price point should have a power driver seat, auto dim mirror, back up camera and keyless entry/start. Bluetooth audio functions are somewhat limited. You gain more functionality using the hardwire in the center console. Speaking of which, the center console is tiny. I'm guessing the 2015 will address some of these issues.