The 50-mile review
By nkanafan on
2012 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
This is a 50 mile "first impressions" for my GTI autobahn, DSG, 4dr. The plethora of positive reviews online are right: excellent build quality, amazing driving dynamics, quiet smooth ride for size, excellent brakes, and great looking with a squat, low stance. The DSG takes getting used to and does feel hesitant at first but "squirts" you around town. As with previous GTIs, torque is abundant. I put two boosters and a nine year old in the back no problem! They are skinny though. Issues. There are a few minor ergonomic foibles. With the correct driving position for me, the steering wheel obstructs the top of speedo. Some controls are too low and parts of them cannot be visualized.
Favorite Features
As above. Could be considered expensive, but for the price, the standard equipment list is long and quality is high. This car is really in its own class, making price comparisons tricky. This car is stellar. Buy it.
Suggested Improvements
Enlarge LCD screen Improve control placement Improve immediate throttle response
By rentonpilot
on 03/23/13 22:36 PM (PDT)

The steering wheel is adjustable up and down and also telescoping. My wife is 5'1", I am 6'6" and neither of us has any problems with obstruction of anything in the car. The ergonomics of this car are class leading in any aspect.