First 30 days - Flawless
By harlequin1971 on
2012 Volkswagen GTI PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)
I purchased my GTI a month ago and have driven it on a few 50+ mile rides and many shorter trips and can say that it has delivered on all the gripes I had with my 08 GLI. Traded out the manual for the DSG and it makes city driving much more peaceful, but the ability to go to the paddles for more spirited runs is just a flick away. The car is quiet - more so than my GLI had been. Getting 24-25 mpg on each tank with mainly city driving. Seems like 33mpg is possible on a road trip if you stay off the after burner. Wish I would have stepped up to the sunroof/convenience package, but otherwise, I am very happy - this one is a keeper!
Favorite Features
DSG - modulates a bit sluggish off the line unless you use the paddles, but that makes for a laid back city driving machine, which is fine. New interior readouts - upgraded displays makes it feel a bit more rich than my 08. Heated seats! Quiet inside on the road. Wheels look nice! Rides a bit more planted than the GLI did, but not harsh or overly sporting.
Suggested Improvements
Speakers are ho-hum, downgraded the stereo (no more 6-disc changer), and steering wheel controls are not available on the base model. (have to upgrade to next model level). Unless you hate sunroofs - grab the next model up. With lo-profile 18" tires, the all-seasons are not likely to handle Minnesota winters very well. Already planning a set of winter wheels.