2012 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Does everything well

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Review

Does everything well
By michel12 on

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I recently purchased a 2012 GTI with a DSG transmission and I think I like it. This is a car that does everything well: comfortable, fun to drive, excellent build quality, practical. My only criticism is with the DSG transmission. While the car is really fun to drive on Tiptronic, the Drive (D) mode is sluggish because the transmission shifts gears at very low speeds which makes it unresponsive especially on steep climbs, where it constantly hunts for the best gear. For those who don't mind driving a car with a manual transmission, I would advise to stay away from the DSG.

Build quality, comfort, fun to drive, practical.

Allow the DSG transmission to shift gears at higher speeds while on Drive (D) mode, it will improve performances on that mode and eliminate the hunting issue when climbing steep hills.
By dingol
on 04/12/13 05:49 AM (PDT)

I test drove the dsg and ended up with the m6. Paddle mode was fine. Auto mode drove very conservatively. I would expect that. If you like automatics, you're likely not going to be/cant be sport driving. My wife even thought the dsg was just too girly. I did love the upshifts though. Bmw kicks the vw dsg's butt on downshifts. It would take a lot of practise to get used to and track a dsg.

By yli2
on 01/31/13 20:03 PM (PST)

so vw engineers do not know how to design DSG? how offen are you on steep climbs? you can use Tiptronic of sports mode.