2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
Does everything well
By michel12 on 08/01/12 08:44 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I recently purchased a 2012 GTI with a DSG transmission and I think I like it. This is a car that does everything well: comfortable, fun to drive, excellent build quality, practical. My only criticism is with the DSG transmission. While the car is really fun to drive on Tiptronic, the Drive (D) mode is sluggish because the transmission shifts gears at very low speeds which makes it unresponsive especially on steep climbs, where it constantly hunts for the best gear. For those who don't mind driving a car with a manual transmission, I would advise to stay away from the DSG.

The 50-mile review
By nkanafan on 06/09/12 20:43 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is a 50 mile "first impressions" for my GTI autobahn, DSG, 4dr. The plethora of positive reviews online are right: excellent build quality, amazing driving dynamics, quiet smooth ride for size, excellent brakes, and great looking with a squat, low stance. The DSG takes getting used to and does feel hesitant at first but "squirts" you around town. As with previous GTIs, torque is abundant. I put two boosters and a nine year old in the back no problem! They are skinny though. Issues. There are a few minor ergonomic foibles. With the correct driving position for me, the steering wheel obstructs the top of speedo. Some controls are too low and parts of them cannot be visualized.

Be Careful
By jmp9 on 06/02/12 04:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought the 2012 GTI last week. So far: non-linear acceleration i.e. the pedal has about two inches of dead travel before the car reacts and then it engages and the car shoots forward, which makes it very dicey in traffic. Over rough pavement the dash and the A pillars buzz like a hornet. I couldn't have a bigger case of buyer's remorse. Will VW fix this? Maybe they will surprise me; if not I'll follow every nuance of the Ohio Lemon Law and they can buy it back.

Great real car
By dingol on 05/26/12 20:00 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I drive sports cars. I frequently end up selling them due to not being able to use all their power and features on the road. The GTI Gives real world performance. You can utilize all the gears without committing a felony. Well balanced. Powerful but not too much. Power comes on smoothly from about 2000 rpm (when boost is entered) all the way up. No need to keep it up at redline all day. I finally have a car that is comfortable enough to commute in yet still sporty enough to take the twisty way home. If you're a number racer, buy a Ferrari. If you love to drive pick up the gti. Easy real 4 passenger commuter near mini s performance. Corners near red territory.

The greatest fun to drive car value in the world!
By hpowders on 05/19/12 17:38 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Much more fun to drive than my 2007 Porsche 911 and my 2007 328i! Excellent suspension over the bumps. Incredible acceleration with the DSG. Very comfortable driver's seat. Nice thick sport steering wheel. Wonderfully balanced ride. Not at all harsh. You want harsh? Check out the Porsche 911 with 19" wheels or the 328i with run flat tires! Terrific interior and a real looker in Candy White! The best looking hatch I've ever seen! This car was an absolute steal at $24,000! Never had so much fun in a car! There is absolutely no justification for Porsche to charge $100,000 for the 911 when at $24,000, the GTI provides so much more fun! If you love to drive, the GTI will put a smile on your face!

So far, very impressed
By zct808 on 04/20/12 05:26 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I've owned cars that cost $20K more than this GTI. Yet none of them were more refined, fun to drive, or as well executed as this car. The moment I took a test drive I was sold. The fun factor, the way it handles, the performance, the amazing build quality, the steering wheel and pedals, and the incredible DSG gearbox that has to be driven to be believed (it changes gears in 1/10th of a sec and is faster AND more economical than the slightly lighter and cheaper stick shift). I think this is one of the best value cars out there, even the base model is generously equipped. It's the most fun car I've owned in a very long time, really loving it so far.

Awesome and fun little hatchback
By iisgenius on 12/04/11 22:24 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my red manual GTI last week. Put in 420 miles in 6 days. I love this car! It will give you power when you need it with no torque steer - considering it's turbo with front wheel drive! Car is beautiful in and out. The interior is just beautiful with the interlagos seats - reminds me of burberry. Fuel consumption is also excellent. I averaged 28 mpg. 25% stop and go driving; and 75% freeway driving with speeds from 65 to 70 mph (trying to break in the car and haven't gone over 70 mph). Handling is a hoot!!! Only complain is the ride - it can get uncomfortable on imperfect freeways but it's a sport car!

Amazed
By ryanzno on 11/13/11 23:21 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I absolutely love this car. As my daily driver, it's fun, convenient, and unique. It's extremely versatile, and surprisingly roomy. I can't get over how well this car is made either. The materials and fit and finish feel like it belongs inside a far more expensive vehicle. Normally a car has weak points, and I find them quickly. This is the first car I've EVER owned that I haven't found at least 1 thing I don't like. If you're on the fence, hop off and buy it! In summary, it's well made, handles and performs excellently and is very affordable. Can't beat it

Great car.
By jdfoster on 11/03/11 18:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

2 weeks into ownership. Simply put, great car! Performance is fantastic. The DSG transmission must be experienced. Ultra smooth, instant shifts. Average MPG 31 city/hwy 70/30 combined. Front seats are extremely comfortable. In this price range, nothing comes close to matching the GTI.

2 weeks and already down for repair
By kkastner on 09/07/11 22:08 PM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love the Euro-feel of the car, hate the owner experience...only two weeks in and already proving to be what I feared it would be. Flywheel was defective and the car has 600 miles on it. Sitting outside at the dealer in the rain with the transmission out. Waiting for VW parts. Not encouraging, especially given that I've already been down a negative road with VW/Audi in the past. If this one lemons out, it will be the 3rd out of 4 cars that VW is going to buy back. 1995 Golf (my first ever new car) - bought back by VW with engine and wheel bearing issues (1,200 miles) 2000 Audi A4 - great, never had a problem 2004 Audi Allroad - bought back by VW/Audi with electrical issues 2012 GTI - TBD

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback in VA is:

$140 per month*