Used 2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:

A ride above the rest!
By cjcanada

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This is my first VW and it's been great!
I bought my fully loaded 2012 gti in July 2012 and now have almost 12K on it (7400 Miles) and have had no issues.
I have even taken it on a road trip from Alberta Canada to California and back (5600 km) and no issues whatsoever.
This is a great car and fun to drive. I have no rattles or issues with this car so far.
Love this car!
Very few dislikes.
I would recommend this car as a daily fun commuter car.
I have the DSG and love it!
Sport mode revs too high though.
The car is a little light on the front end.
Spin the tires often.

Interior finish is the best I've seen. Very classy. Great handling. Self leveling headlamps and LED daytime lights are a nice touch. Plenty of room in the hatch. Nice looking car on the outside. Dynaudio is a great sound system but could use a subwoofer. Navigation system saved my relationship on the road trip I took! Works wonders.

The bolstered leather seats are snug and I am 6'2" tall and long in the legs so I find the bolsters uncomfortable. Probably great for average height persons. The turbo lag off the start was a little hard to get used to but I don't notice it as much now. Definitely not a car for drag racing but does great for zipping in and out of traffic. Nav system a little slow but easy enough to live with. The city I live in has terrible roads but this car has pretty darned good suspension even with the serron wheel package. Would suggest the 17 inch wheels for better comfort however.

1-yr Review
By shdwblumkvi

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2012 6MT shadow blue GTI 1 year ago today.

Here is my 1 Year Review.
After 365 days of owning a brand new GTI, my first VW, I can say it has been great.

But along with the good, I've had to accept some problems.

My fuel injector failed at 20k miles and left me on the side of the road. This is a common weakness of the GTI.

If you want reliable and dependable, buy a Honda. If you want German and high performance, expect to have some issues with this car. Some people have zero problems. You may get lucky. But plan on not being so lucky. I love driving this car, but don't know if I will keep it once the warranty is over.

Expect to have problems, but it is a wonderful car.

The interior is outstanding. The bluetooth works great for iPhones. I really enjoy the plaid seats. Fit and finish is top notch. Nothing rattles or vibrates after a year and everything seems to be holding up well. I installed OEM bi-xenons a few months ago. I would make sure you get one of the trim levels that include the HIDs/AFS feature, as this is the only thing I regret about this car. I also like how the rear seats fold up and provide a lot of space when needed.

Reliability continues to trouble VW. I read about plenty of people having all sorts of problems but you have to realize that high performance almost always comes at the expense of reliability/durability. VW should include the HIDs on all trims, not just the top 2. Also, there is a hissing in the driver window that is common to GTIs. Not a big deal. Also the wheel bearing failed after I brushed a low curb. Had to replace it. The GTI feels very fragile sometimes. If only they were more dependable cars. That's really my only complaint after 1 year and 21k miles.

So far so good
By deeperseoul

My first VW ever and digging it!.
I've always had interest in GTI and there was 0% apr opportunity back in July.
One test drive pretty much sold me the car.
My attachment of this car is almost equal to the time when i got my first car back in 1988(Nissan Maxima).
Although, brand new car picked up from the dealer was already defective with faulty head light ballester, it has not given me any other issues so far.
I see why people rave about this car...driving this car is very gratifying.
It may not be the most powerful or reliable car but for me, this car has more personality than competitors.

Bi xenon headlights with Audi like LED DRLs. High quality interior. Well sorted and solid feeling chassis.

Panorama sunroof option would be a nice touch for next gen MK7.

2nd Mark 6 GTI for me
By shadrach2

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback Autobahn PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Owned a first gen GTI from '83 to '95 and decided in '10 that it was time to go back. Manual, cloth). Lease up in 7 months so contacted my excellent dealer who hooked me up with a "can't say no" deal on a new '12, full boat GTI.

Well, I liked my '10 and I have to say that I like the '12 even more. I've been driving manuals for 35 years now and thought I'd never give the nod to a non-manual. But the DSG, dual clutch deal in the GTI is amazing.

Telematics is way improved over '10. Interior with leather is classier. Mileage is super. Just a total win.

Keyless operation, excellent music interface, GREAT sound system, nice engine sound, super gas mileage.

Steering wheel could pitch down a bit more. I'd prefer 17in wheels given the poor roads. Although the 18 on the autobahn are pretty great looking.

First 30 days - Flawless
By harlequin1971

2012 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I purchased my GTI a month ago and have driven it on a few 50+ mile rides and many shorter trips and can say that it has delivered on all the gripes I had with my 08 GLI. Traded out the manual for the DSG and it makes city driving much more peaceful, but the ability to go to the paddles for more spirited runs is just a flick away. The car is quiet - more so than my GLI had been. Getting 24-25 mpg on each tank with mainly city driving. Seems like 33mpg is possible on a road trip if you stay off the after burner. Wish I would have stepped up to the sunroof/convenience package, but otherwise, I am very happy - this one is a keeper!

DSG - modulates a bit sluggish off the line unless you use the paddles, but that makes for a laid back city driving machine, which is fine. New interior readouts - upgraded displays makes it feel a bit more rich than my 08. Heated seats! Quiet inside on the road. Wheels look nice! Rides a bit more planted than the GLI did, but not harsh or overly sporting.

Speakers are ho-hum, downgraded the stereo (no more 6-disc changer), and steering wheel controls are not available on the base model. (have to upgrade to next model level). Unless you hate sunroofs - grab the next model up. With lo-profile 18" tires, the all-seasons are not likely to handle Minnesota winters very well. Already planning a set of winter wheels.