2012 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
1-yr Review
By shdwblumkvi on 12/23/12 18:50 PM (PST)

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I bought my 2012 6MT shadow blue GTI 1 year ago today. Here is my 1 Year Review. After 365 days of owning a brand new GTI, my first VW, I can say it has been great. But along with the good, I've had to accept some problems. My fuel injector failed at 20k miles and left me on the side of the road. This is a common weakness of the GTI. If you want reliable and dependable, buy a Honda. If you want German and high performance, expect to have some issues with this car. Some people have zero problems. You may get lucky. But plan on not being so lucky. I love driving this car, but don't know if I will keep it once the warranty is over. Expect to have problems, but it is a wonderful car.

Be Careful
By jmp9 on 06/02/12 04:30 AM (PDT)

2012 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I just bought the 2012 GTI last week. So far: non-linear acceleration i.e. the pedal has about two inches of dead travel before the car reacts and then it engages and the car shoots forward, which makes it very dicey in traffic. Over rough pavement the dash and the A pillars buzz like a hornet. I couldn't have a bigger case of buyer's remorse. Will VW fix this? Maybe they will surprise me; if not I'll follow every nuance of the Ohio Lemon Law and they can buy it back.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Volkswagen GTI in VA is:

$142 per month*